After locking up tight end Martellus Bennett with a four-year contract, the Bears promptly cut both Kellen Davis and Matt Spaeth.
Mere minutes into the 2013 league year, Phil Emery wasted no time addressing a profound need on the Bears roster, signing tight end Martellus Bennett to a four-year deal worth a reported $20 million.
Armed with a new tight end in Martellus Bennett, the Bears have cut Kellen Davis.
Confused by the NFL salary cap? Dan Durkin is here to help.
The Bears leading receiver at the tight end position last season was Kellen Davis, who caught just 19 receptions.
Time offers the opportunity for perspective, so I thought it would be a good idea to wait each week to give my thoughts on the Bears game. The idea being that 24 hours allows for me to watch the game over and talk to a few more people. Hence, “The 24 Blog.”
Brandon Marshall felt like backup quarterback Jason Campbell did a good job after Jay Cutler was ruled out with a concussion at halftime, and the receivers didn’t really help him out.
Some Bears players are hosting a fundraiser this weekend for the family of a Lake Villa man who was murdered last weekend in Florida.
The Bears completed their second-to-last OTA Wednesday in Lake Forest. Here are some thoughts and observations straight from my notebook:
After another dismal performance in his fourth start as Bears quarterback, Caleb Hanie has his fair share of critics.
With a 30-24 victory over the heavily favored Philadelphia Eagles, the Bears put themselves on track for their second straight playoff appearance.
After missing four consecutive games with a chest injury, wide receiver Earl Bennett had full participation in all three practices this week and is listed as probable for Sunday’s game in London.
Wide receiver Earl Bennett was back at practice for the Bears on Wednesday after missing four games with a chest injury.
Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz doesn’t view tight ends like most NFL coaches.
In the wake of the Bears’ crushing and penalty-laden loss to the Detroit Lions Monday, Bears tight end Kellen Davis is focused on regrouping and looking forward to the next game.
The reasons for the Bears’ inefficiencies are many, and shared. But, really. Somebody get open.
After a 30-13 defeat at the hands of the New Orleans Saints, the Bears now sit at 1-1 before the Week 3 showdown at Soldier Field with Green Bay.
The balance, protection and production that the Bears saw last week vs. the Falcons was absent against the Saints. Gregg Williams and the New Orleans defense brought continuous pressure and it put the Bears on their heels.
When it comes to protecting Jay Cutler, the focus centers on the offensive line, but the line and protection of Cutler extends out to the edge.
The mailbag heats up this week as the Bears get ready for their first preseason game against the Buffalo Bills Saturday.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!