How is it that children and adolescents are getting hit with painful kidney stones? CBS 2′s Mary Kay Kleist reports.
CBS 2 has learned there were three young children in the backseat of the vehicle during the confrontation with police.
This time of year–winter break after Christmas–most of the parents I know are in search of two things: a way to entertain the troops that does not include TV, and a little warmth. Last year we discovered the wonders of a place that offers both when we ventured to the Chicago Botanic Garden. Since our first trip there, we’ve since become much more acquainted, so here’s a little guide to the garden with kids during the winter.
Snuggle up with your little ones and let these beautifully worded (and funny!) stories about being thankful and celebrating with gratitude soak into your heart!
There’s not much more relaxing and enjoyable than jumping into some cozy pajamas on a chilly fall night and snuggling up with a good book. Even when you’re only four or five years old. Here are some fabulous family-friendly books that celebrate autumn and Halloween with all of the fun and none of the scare!
Looking for the perfect Halloween celebration for the kids? Check out what Chicago Botanic Garden has to offer…
Come fall, sports leagues for kids in Chicago explode with activity. Boys and girls from tots to teens get a healthy dose of competition, pride in themselves, energy exertion and a way to keep busy in a productive way that won’t drive parents crazy. Explore the best fall sports leagues for kids in Chicago when school starts this year for a well-rounded, happy kid all year long.
The clock is ticking down: Summer is almost over and nobody’s ready. Sure you may have completed your technical preparations. Maybe you have done all of your school supply shopping, picked out the perfect outfit for the first day of school and even finished that daunting list of summer readings. Before the kids return to school, bid that summer vacation the proper farewell, soaking up the last relaxing, sun-soaked days together.
There are some great ways to prepare for the school year without stressing yourself or your wallet. Avoid the cookie-cutter look of the big chain stores with these fun, funky area options sure to please any family.
This summer has left our family a little fried in more than the roast, toast and burn kind of way that 100-degree heat and full-on, daily sunshine leaves in its nightly sunset. Specifically, this summer has left me, the mother of two little boys, totally burned out by 10 a.m. after breaking up the tenth argument of the day.
Chicago boasts a variety of activities that include boat rides, gardens, outdoor concerts and nature museums perfect for any family this summer. Whether you live in Winnetka, Wheaton or Wicker Park, Chicago and the suburbs offer a little bit of everything parents need to get the kids out of the house when school lets out.
Nothing beats baseball as the ultimate pastime with hot dogs, a few cold ones for the grown ups and rooting on that favorite team. Here in Chicago there is never a shortage during baseball season, and it really kicks off with the Crosstown Classic. Whether you bleed Cubby blue and red or kick it on the south side with the Sox, if you are in Chicago, you are watching baseball. When that dreaded time between seasons strikes though, it’s time to take the family out to get that fix. Sure there are highlights and recaps, but true lovers of the game don’t just watch, they play and they need practice. Here in Chicago there are plenty of batting cages just waiting for you to hit that home run, but these are the best of the best.
If you’re as big of a (party pooper) stickler for nutrition as I am, or if you’re just simply looking to rotate in some fresh and delicious kid-enticing treats at, say, your Fourth of July party, you’ve landed on the right article (read: there will be no mention of anything marshmallows or fluff or those little black and white cookies that are chalked full of equal parts of sinful and good).
Pack the kids up and head to Chicago’s best toy stores for great deals, exciting new toys and hours of playtime.
Much to my boys’ dismay, we simply cannot spend every minute of daylight each day of summer vacation at the park, the pool or at the beach. There are days we all simply need to relax, and well, the house isn’t self-cleaning and dinner isn’t self-preparing, so even if we table the relaxing idea, there are days (even in the gloriousness of summer vacation) when we simply must be homebound in order to keep alive and partially clean. This is where the backyard comes in…
As the seasons change and temperatures rise, save the family from the heat waves and make a mad dash for the city’s best waterparks and pools. Whether splashing around, diving in or sliding down an outrageous labyrinth of tubes to land in a giant pool full of refreshment, there is no better way to cool off this summer than somewhere sunny and poolside. In Chicago, the best wet and wild amusement is flexible enough to fit any schedule. Stay the entire weekend or just a few hours, but be sure to hit the best places to swim in Chicago.
If you’re looking to introduce your 3 to 5 year old child to a structured setting of activities with teachers and other children before the stresses of kindergarten kick in, preschool is the way to go. More structured than traditional daycare, children learn to follow instructions, share and cooperate, and are introduced to the foundations of learning. Finding an enriching and affordable preschool is not easy, but Chicago’s top five make it a no brainer.
Fulfill your need for speed with an introduction to racing that’ll have you hooked on the first lap. These area go-kart facilities are the Chicago area’s best, from kart-exclusive race factories to fun parks for the whole family.
Improving your family’s health is no small task, though we all would agree it’s worthwhile. Making the transition is easiest by taking baby steps. Here’s a list of must-have staple summer items aimed at creating healthier, greener, more sustainable lifestyles.
Life is busy, and family life is busier! The more people in the family, the more it seems like the schedule never sleeps. Luckily for Chicago-area families, there are services and businesses geared toward lightening the load for families and generally making life a little bit easier. (And best of all, many of them are eco-friendly and green!)
- Jail Inmate Charged With Previous Murder, Shooting In RobbinsA Cook County Jail inmate faces new charges in connection with a 2012 murder and a separate 2011 shooting in south suburban Robbins, the Cook County Sheriff’s office announced Saturday.60
- Teen Hurt In Little Village ShootingA 14-year-old boy was shot in the arm Saturday afternoon in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood.86
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.167
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!