Lake Effect Snow
A winter storm that buried much of central Illinois in heavy snow largely missed the Chicago area Sunday and early Monday. The storm prompted many schools and universities downstate to cancel classes, and police advised people not to drive in that part of the state unless it’s an emergency.
A powerful lake-effect snow system is blasting the Chicago area, and it could dump as much as 18 inches of accumulation in some areas.
In case you’ve forgotten, it’s February, and Mother Nature will be reminding you by dropping up to 6 inches of snow on the Chicago area on Friday.
Light flurries have tapered off for most of the Chicago area, but lake effect snow in northwest Indiana could bring a lot of snow to that region by Tuesday.
Most of Chicago saw only a few inches of snow on the ground today, but a short drive into Northwest Indiana provided a totally different picture.
The snow may be winding down for the immediate Chicago area, but if you live in parts of Northwest Indiana, you might end up with a foot and a half of snow piled up in your front yard.
The driving situation in northwest Indiana and southwest Michigan is improving. But there’s still lots of snow to deal with and even more snow coming today in some areas.
Snow was racing down Lake Michigan causing some whiteout conditions in Porter County, Ind.
The heavy snow showers that hit Chicago Saturday have left the area, but portions of northwest Indiana could see an additional eight inches of lake effect snow before the system completely passes Sunday afternoon.
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!