The long list of people the state owes money to could nearly triple in five years, if lawmakers don’t get costs under control, according to a local budget watchdog group.
Chicago Public School officials have unveiled their budget plan for next school year, seeking to fill a $665 million deficit with a property tax hike, personnel cuts and some one-time revenue.
A report being released Monday contains troubling news about the Chicago pension plans covering various municipal employees.
A new voice and a new website were added Monday to the effort to avert what appears to be the potential collapse of Illinois public employee pension funds. CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports.
Ahead of Gov. Pat Quinn’s state of the state address this Wednesday and his budget address next month, a tax watchdog group is sounding the alarm about Illinois’ looming financial disaster.
Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle’s proposed 2012 budget is getting high marks from a noted government watchdog.
It’s a cruel reality. Property taxes are up all over Chicagoland, according to a new report. In the city and suburb after suburb, property values are dropping, but tax levies for schools and services are going up.
Tax-increment financing, or TIF, is a controversial economic development tool that has been abused in Chicago. Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Monday vowed again to add oversight to the program.
Cook County is going to see more layoffs and red ink, but a Chicago budget watchdog says the situation seems to be improving.
How many city workers does it take to change a light bulb? Sounds like a joke right? But it’s not funny when it’s our tax dollars being wasted.
A tax watchdog group claims Gov. Pat Quinn is not being realistic in how deep in the red the state’s finances are.
The head of the government watchdog group the Civic Federation says the Chicago City Council is going to have to show some strength if Chicago is to truly bring its budget under control.
A new report by an independent research group outlines the financial crisis facing Chicago’s next mayor and City Council.
Yet another warning has been issued about Chicago’s looming public pension crisis.
The oldest non-partisan government research organization in the state says the proposed Illinois income tax increase will not help lower the state’s $15 billion deficit.
Gov. Pat Quinn and legislative leaders in Springfield have been meeting repeatedly this week, trying to hammer out an agreement that would raise the state’s income tax in an effort to solve a massive budget deficit.
- Three Teens Arrested After Large Fight On Lakefront On South SideThree teens were arrested on Sunday, after police broke up a large fight along the lakefront in the Jackson Park neighborhood.315
- Charred Body Found In Dumpster After Fire ExtinguishedAbout 11:05 p.m. firefighters were called to the 3100 block of North Kimball Avenue in the Avondale neighborhood after receiving a report of a dumpster blaze in a nearby alley.156
- 5 Dead, 18 Wounded In Weekend ViolenceFive people have been killed and at least 18 others wounded — including a 12-year-old boy left in critical condition — in shootings across the city since Friday night.7027
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Woman Found Dead At O’HareA woman was found dead near a bus stop at O’Hare International Airport Saturday, authorities said.308
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!