Longer School Day
As he prepared to welcome students back to classes on Wednesday, Chicago Public Schools chief executive officer Jean-Claude Brizard said many parents had told him they were pleased with the longer school day.
Teachers and the Chicago Public Schools have reached an agreement on a longer school day, eliminating a major roadblock toward a contract.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel today dismissed a mediator’s report that school officials had hoped would provide added bargaining power in their contract talks with teachers.
Chicago Public School officials have unveiled their budget plan for next school year, seeking to fill a $665 million deficit with a property tax hike, personnel cuts and some one-time revenue.
It’s been a bit more than a year on the job for Chicago Public Schools CEO Jean-Claude Brizard. Some critics have said it’s been a bumpy, road with many obstacles ahead for Brizard – including a potential teachers’ strike.
While much of the talk about Chicago schools revolves around a potential teachers strike, one education reform group kicked off the summer this weekend with a push for more charter schools.
All Chicago public schools will not only have a longer school day next year, they will have a more “coordinated” one, with all schools opening and closing within a one-hour assigned window.
Principals in the Chicago Public Schools are in line to get $130 million to help pay for next year’s longer school days.
As 200 students and parents touted a longer school day and other initiatives on Saturday at a rally hosted by the advocacy group “Stand for Children” at Roosevelt University, a small group of protesters picketed outside.
There’s a mystery in Chicago tonight about a longer day in public school. Yes or no? What will it be when Mayor Rahm Emanuel makes up his mind?
Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Public Schools chief executive officer Jean-Claude Brizard have agreed to scale back the longer school day for elementary students.
Several parents groups are questioning how the Chicago Public Schools can lengthen the school day starting next fall, without solid plans on how to use the extra time, or enough money to pay for it.
Parents who oppose a longer school day at a Near North Side elementary school say a new survey shows what they’ve been saying all along.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is not commenting directly on whether it is appropriate for faith-based groups that are backing of his education agenda to get millions of dollars worth of city contracts.
Chicago Public Schools principals on Monday are receiving a set of guidelines from their bosses on how to divvy up longer school days starting in August.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is in Washington, D.C., joining mayors from across the United States in supporting the rights of same-sex couples to marry.
The Chicago Public Schools system is dangling $100,000 prizes to schools that most creatively design their longer school days.
Two Chicago Public Schools will be spending an extra 90 minutes in class Monday, joining 11 others that have already done so.
The Chicago School Board is advising that school should be in session for 36 more minutes for high school students when the longer school day takes effect systemwide.
A group of Chicago Public Schools teachers have made suggestions on ways to best use the extra 90 minutes being added to each school day starting next year.
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!