Using its trapping, shot-challenging 2-3 zone defense to perfect effect, No. 4-seeded Syracuse shut down No. 3 Marquette 55-39 in the East Regional final Saturday, reaching the Final Four for the first time in a decade.
Vander Blue’s buzzer-beater came at the end of the first half. For a change, Marquette didn’t need one at the end of the game.
The Hurricanes have had a dream season, but Marquette is the toughest team in college basketball. That’s just one of four great matchups.
Oklahoma State had a terrific season, but got by far the toughest draw out of any five-seed in the bracket. Keep an eye on Oregon.
It’s a rarity at this level, in any sport, for a head coach to have had no playing experience in college. It hasn’t prevented Williams from guiding Marquette to the Sweet 16 the last two seasons and a 60-30 regular season record in the Big East.
The death of the Big East as we know it hit home last week as 14 teams arrived at the World’s Most Famous Arena (Connecticut was ineligible). Next season, the “Catholic 7” will be reportedly joined by Butler, Creighton, and Xavier in a basketball-only conference that has paid to keep the Big East name.
The Big East tournament will have a touch of a wake to it this week. When games end, there will be plenty of reminiscing about rivalries and talk of what is to come.
Jamil Wilson tied his career-high with 19 points and Chris Otule added a season-high 16 to help No. 22 Marquette beat No. 21 Notre Dame 72-64 on Saturday, the Golden Eagles’ 25th consecutive home win.
Vander Blue scored 18 points and Junior Cadougan added 17 as No. 24 Marquette held off DePaul 89-78 on Saturday, the Blue Demons’ eighth straight loss.
Seven Big East schools including DePaul will leave the conference and pursue a new basketball framework.
Bradley Beal, the freshman with NBA written all over him, scored 21 points on 8-for-10 shooting Thursday night to help the Gators to a 68-58 victory over Marquette.
Down late yet again, Jae Crowder scored six points during a decisive 14-2 run, and the third-seeded Golden Eagles pulled away from Murray State for a 62-53 victory Saturday that sends the Golden Eagles into next weekend’s West Regional semifinals.
Freshman Pat Connaughton had 23 points and 11 rebounds as Notre Dame made 11 3-pointers and beat No. 15 Marquette 76-59 Saturday.
When Jimmy Butler heard his name called as the 30th overall pick in Thursday night’s NBA Draft, it capped off a long and unique journey from the Tomball, Texas to Tyler Junior College to Marquette University, and ultimately ending with the Chicago Bulls.
There was a time when Jimmy Butler didn’t have a home. Considering he now has one in the NBA, he sure has come a long way.
As I struggled to watch a Butler-UConn national championship game completely devoid of made baskets, I thought what a shame it is that a historic, drama-filled NCAA tournament would end this way.
In a matchup between two Big East foes, the Marquette Golden Eagles beat the Syracuse Orange to advance to the Sweet 16.
The NCAA Tournament is one of the most physically and mentally taxing stretches any college basketball player will endure. And the players out of the Big East conference might be the best prepared to take on that challenge.
With conference tournaments already underway, it’s not too late to to starting pegging some teams that could slip under the radar and do some damage once the big dance starts.
The DePaul Blue Demons start their season on November 14th against Chicago State. When they do, they’ll do so with low expectations from coaches around the Big East. The Blue Demons were picked to finish […]
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Student Pulled Over And Robbed By Phony Police OfficerA man driving an unmarked white Ford Crown Victoria with interior flashing red and blue lights pulled the student over near Ballard and Bender roads in Des Plaines as she was driving to school around 7:30 a.m. on May 20.340
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!