Matt Garza executed his plan to near perfection. Garza pitched one-hit ball for seven shutout innings and struck out 10 Sunday as the Chicago Cubs beat the Philadelphia Phillies 5-1.
Hanley Ramirez homered for the third game in a row, Mark Buehrle pitched eight innings for his first victory with Miami and the Marlins beat the slumping Chicago Cubs 9-1 on Wednesday night.
Matt Garza pitched three-hit ball for 8 2-3 innings, and the Chicago Cubs sent Zack Greinke to his worst beating in 1 1/2 years in an 8-0 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers on Thursday that prevented a four-game sweep.
Carlos Marmol insists it’s too soon for him to be frustrated. Cubs fans sure are, though. Adam LaRoche homered and matched a career-high with four hits, and the Washington Nationals again rallied late against Kerry Wood and Marmol, scoring five runs in the eighth to beat the Chicago Cubs 7-4 on Saturday.
Darwin Barney hit an RBI triple off Jered Weaver that broke a scoreless tie in the sixth inning and the Chicago Cubs beat the Los Angeles Angels 8-1 Sunday.
Cincinnati right-hander Mat Latos strained his left calf during a 7-4 loss to the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday, providing another pitching concern for the Reds.
Cubs starter Matt Garza was much better in his third start than his first two. Garza threw three innings and gave up two earned on three hits and a walk. He struck out three and, most importantly, said it’s all going to plan.
The Los Angeles Dodgers took advantage of Matt Garza’s wildness and beat the Chicago Cubs 5-0 Sunday.
I believe the guy is talented. I believe he is a decent person, albeit a ridiculously hotheaded and immature one. And I believe that he’s one of the most passionate – and entertaining – athletes in all of baseball. I also believe that the Cubs couldn’t be luckier to be done with him.
Samardzija is coming off his best season as a professional notching eight wins in 2011 to go along with an era of 2.97.
Matt Garza opened up on a lot of subjects Sunday as pitchers and catchers went through their first workout at Cub’s camp.
Theo Epstein was almost giddy talking about the beginning of Spring Training. The Cubs President said this has been a long time coming.
Welcome to the Ten Foot Mailbag, what I hope to be a weekly feature here. That is, unless it goes horribly, horribly wrong, which is pretty much probable.
The Cubs and pitcher Matt Garza avoided arbitration Friday by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $9.5 million.
Matt Garza’s 2008 ALCS ring was stolen from his home in Fresno, Calif.
Prince Fielder is among the best left-handed hitters in baseball, and Cubs fans are excited today because of Tuesday’s news of the Detroit Tigers signing the All-Star first baseman out of the National League Central.
The Cubs are in serious talks with the Detroit Tigers to trade away pitcher Matt Garza for a package of prospects, according to a published report.
I’m done with Carlos Zambrano. The Cubs, however, may not be.
Castro has 12 more hits than Matt Kemp of the Los Angeles Dodgers. On Wednesday, Castro will become the youngest player ever to lead the NL in hits in a season, at 21 years, 188 days. He’ll also become the third Cubs player in seven seasons to lead the NL in hits, joining Juan Pierre (2006) and Derrek Lee (2005).
Starlin Castro desperately wanted to get his 200th hit of the season in front of a supportive crowd at Wrigley Field. Now he’ll move on to St. Louis and try to reach the milestone.
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!