It’s difficult enough to hire the right basketball coach at Illinois, without choosing to limit the field of candidates beforehand.
Instead of making a brief statement in support of his friend, Izzo opted on Friday to instead unspool an inappropriate – and inaccurate – rant against Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas.
In an interview on The Mully & Hanley Show on 670 The Score, Thomas simply said he had no comment, after Izzo ripped him Friday at the Big Ten Tournament.
With Bruce Weber officially out the door, here are nine possible Illini head coaching candidates.
Bruce Weber was fired from Illinois on Friday morning.
As he sat at the podium, his face beat red and his hoarse voice even raspier than usual, one could only hope someone has the decency to unplug the life support soon.
Last August, Mike Thomas managed to throw down a gauntlet in Chicago.
If this pathetic, blubbering mess of failure and self-flagellation is to be somehow disinfected, it will take some real soul-searching before a reconstruction plan can be created.
According to multiple sources, key Illini boosters have made it clear to Illinois Athletic Director Mike Thomas that Weber’s $3.9 million buyout should not stand in the way of making a change.
Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas joined The McNeil and Spiegel Show and didn’t exactly give his head basketball coach a vote of confidence.
Mike Thomas is now about to launch a campaign to raise more than $100 million to redo Assembly Hall even as fans grow increasingly frustrated with men’s basketball coach Bruce Weber.
Whether it’s possible for any college to truly conquer the Midwestern metropolis that so favors pro sports and boasts such a diverse collegiate fandom is quite debatable.
After firing Ron Zook Sunday, the Illini have started searching for their next head coach.
I’m sure that Mike Thomas has his own list of names who he’d like to see as his coach at Illinois. But my advice is this: Aim high.
Above everything else on Saturday, as Illinois fans trudged out of Memorial Stadium, they were again reminded of the cold, hard truth that Ron Zook is not a big-time football coach.
I didn’t watch the Illinois football game last weekend. Turns out, though, I wasn’t the only one. Because, apparently, Ron Zook didn’t see much of it, either.
The University of Illinois announced the hiring of Mike Thomas as the school’s new athletic director at a press conference Wednesday.
- Jail Inmate Charged With Previous Murder, Shooting In RobbinsA Cook County Jail inmate faces new charges in connection with a 2012 murder and a separate 2011 shooting in south suburban Robbins, the Cook County Sheriff’s office announced Saturday.60
- Teen Hurt In Little Village ShootingA 14-year-old boy was shot in the arm Saturday afternoon in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood.86
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.167
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!