Plumes of smoke have been rising this week from prairies at Fermilab, the Morton Arboretum and other open spaces which naturalists are trying to keep open throughout the Chicago area.
It might be tough to drive in, but Tuesday’s snowstorm should bring some benefits to the Chicago area.
Most of us wish there was a seasonal fast-forward button for the winter temperatures, but like it or not, there are a few things that are fun to experience during the colder days, especially when you know spring is just around the corner. Take advantage of the last days of winter with a few fun winter activities.
Experts say the lack of snow — coming off of an extremely dry summer — is literally stressing trees out. CBS 2′s Dana Kozlov reports.
Thanksgiving is one holiday that isn’t about spending money and buying gifts. It’s meant to be a time to give thanks, be with loved ones and most importantly, over eat. Here are some free activities going on around Chicagoland this Thanksgiving to help you save a little money before the holiday spending kicks in. Enjoy it; you only have until midnight before Black Friday.
Have you seen them yet? Some trees and shrubs in the Chicago area have been changing colors, a month before the official start of autumn. We got to wondering if this is an early sign of fall, or a sign of trouble.
An arborist from the Morton Arboretum in Lisle is getting ready to compete this weekend in the International Tree Climbing Championship in Portland, Ore.
The emerald ash borer and the drought this summer are teaming up to give a one-two punch to ash trees in the area.
With most of Illinois having been classified as being in severe drought, it’s not only farmers who are suffering. Plenty of homeowners have seen their prized plants shriveling, and their trees shedding leaves.
A tree specialist at the Morton Arboretum says this is the worst drought he’s seen for Chicago area trees in 34 years.
Chicago’s hot, dry weather already has some trees and shrubs showing fall colors at the Morton Arboretum.
Why not try something different for Mother’s Day this year? Instead of a Mother’s Day brunch, a spa treatment or breakfast in bed, how about treating mom to a picnic outside to enjoy the weather and nature. Mom can kick back, relax and still enjoy spending time with her family. She’ll enjoy homemade sandwiches Dad can make with the kids, or if that’s too adventuresome there are plenty of places where you can pick up some nice sandwiches and sides to take along with you.
Starting Friday, big, green tags will be appearing on trees throughout downtown, as part of an effort in this week before Arbor Day to remind people of the benefits of trees.
The last two weekends in April promise to be green in the Chicagoland in so many ways with trees budding and unfurling their leaves and both Earth Day and Arbor Day celebrations in full swing around the city and suburbs. Mark your calendars for Earth Day Sunday, April 22, and Arbor Day Friday, April 27, and take a peak below to plan out how to celebrate our great Earth with the kiddos while teaching them ways to be good stewards of our precious resources.
Since 1993, the Groundhog Day holiday has enjoyed renewed interest due to the namesake cult film starring the very excellent Bill Murray as weatherman Phil Connors. While Punxsatawney, PA gets most the national attention on the day itself, the actual location of the filming of Groundhog Day is our very own Woodstock, IL. Murray was the star, but the town itself plays a major role…
The Chicago area’s unseasonably warm temperatures have forced some forsythia buds into bloom four months early at the Morton Arboretum just west of the city.
A crash on the grounds of the Morton Arboretum sent two people to the hospital Wednesday night.
The Morton Arboretum is a true treasure of nature, located right here in the western suburbs. While staying true to its mission of planting and conserving trees, the internationally acclaimed arboretum offers learning opportunities for all ages…
There’s no time like the present to enjoy autum colors at the west surburban oasis. CBS 2′s Rob Johnson takes a tour.
The end of May showers will hopefully lead to some June flowers, but just because spring is running a little late doesn’t mean you have to hide indoors. We’ve some picks to get you out of the house this weekend, rain or shine.
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- RT @Millennium_Park: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole … 2 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoDCASE: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole htt… 2 hours ago