Mully And Hanley
Coming into this season, Matt Thornton was named as the closer. But after struggling early on, the White Sox removed him from that position and went with a closer-by-committee approach. Now it seems as if Sergio Santos has taken that role for himself.
Former Major League closer Lee Smith spent the first eight seasons of his 18-year career playing for the Cubs. Over those eight seasons the Cubs had a wining record only once, but the right-hander still looks back fondly on his days on the North Side.
One of the few enjoyable things for Cubs fans this season has been watching Starlin Castro develop as a player. The Cubs’ 21-year-old shortstop has the third best batting average in the National League.
For being such an important part of rebuilding the Chicago Blackhawks, Patrick Kane’s name has been thrown out as potential trade bait by fans, and even some members of the media, on a surprisingly regular basis.
Throughout the season, the White Sox have been plagued with an inconsistent offense and, at times, a shaky bullpen. It’s their starting pitching that’s kept them afloat, and can keep the season alive.
Despite playing better as of late, it’s unlikely that the Chicago Cubs will be able to compete for a playoff spot. As the team soon shifts its focus to improving for the future, Carlos Pena might hear his named mentioned in potential trades.
Thursday’s NBA Draft introduced a lot of overseas players to NBA fans. While there are usually a few European players drafted, the year’s draft skewed even more in that direction than usual.
For over 100 days, fans have had to watch as the fate of the NFL gets run through courts and negotiation tables. And now, it seems as if the NBA is in for a similar fate. While the NFL had a head start on the NBA, they’re really very similar issues.
After his second stint on the disabled list this season, Jake Peavy came back with a solid performance against the Cubs and earned a win. But a solid performance is hardly what the White Sox and their fans expected when they traded for the former Cy Young winner.
For many, the Chicago Cubs’ trip to Fenway Park earlier this season will be remembered as the the Cubs’ first trip back to Boston since the 1918 World Series. But for Marlon Byrd, at least, the trip will be remembered for one individual pitch.
Although it hasn’t been as drastic of a turnaround as last season, the White Sox have stabilized their season after going 10-18 in April. And considering the struggles by some players, the White Sox should feel somewhat fortunate to be only 4.5 games back.
The White Sox were expected to compete for the American League Central title, but after slowly recovering from terrible start to the season, they find themselves two games under .500.
Three of the Bulls most important players were drafted over the last four years: Joakim Noah, Derrick Rose, and Taj Gibson. With two picks at the end of Thursday night’s first round, the Bulls look to add another piece to a title contending team.
Adam Dunn’s 0-for-4 game, including three strikeouts, in Monday night’s loss to the Cubs is something that White Sox fans are getting familiar with.
Carlos Zambrano has been the center of several Cubs storylines this season, unfortunately they haven’t been because of stellar pitching performacnes.
There have been plenty of memorable moments and intense games during the relatively brief history of the White Sox-Cubs rivalry. However, this year’s series may be lacking a little of usual anticipation.
Last season, the strength of the Bears was their defense, the unit gave up the fourth fewest (17.9) points in the league. The offense struggled at times in their first season running the intricate and timing-based Mike Martz offense.
In a recent interview with the team’s official website, Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz talked about the upcoming season and getting receiver Earl Bennett more involved with the offense.
One of the problems the Chicago White Sox have had this season has been the back-end of their bullpen, Matt Thornton blew saves at the beginning of the season, and Sergio Santos had some trouble this past week.
Last week, the MLB Network’s Peter Gammons described Wrigley Field as a dump and said that the Ricketts Family needed to model what the Boston Red Sox did to renovate Fenway Park.
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!