National Weather Service
“Tornado sheltering basics involved three steps – get in, get down and cover-up. The overall goal is to avoid flying and falling debris by putting as many barriers between you and the tornado as possible,” according to one expert at the National Weather Service in Norman, Oklahoma.
A winter storm that buried much of central Illinois in heavy snow largely missed the Chicago area Sunday and early Monday. The storm prompted many schools and universities downstate to cancel classes, and police advised people not to drive in that part of the state unless it’s an emergency.
Snow plows were out in force, hundreds of flights have been cancelled at the city’s airports, and many area schools were closed on Tuesday, amid a storm that could drop up to 10 inches of snow.
A winter storm bringing a mix of freezing rain, sleet, and heavy snow is bearing down on the Chicago area, and could make for a messy afternoon commute.
Snow continued to blanket the Chicago region Friday morning, making driving conditions more hazardous for commuters, officials said.
A winter weather advisory is in effect tonight for the Chicago area.
A “significant winter storm” could bring as much as four or five inches of snow to parts of the Chicago area late Thursday and early Friday, according to the National Weather Service.
According to CBS 2′s Ed Curran, the storm will create freezing rain that will create a coating of ice that could amount to one to two tenths of an inch.
The question remains: Why haven’t we had more snow? CBS 2′s Suzanne Le Mignot reports.
Those dreaming of a white Christmas in Chicago might get a flurry — but it won’t be a winter wonderland.
An 83-year-old Chicago woman is the first cold-related death of the season in Cook County.
Sunday night could be a perfect time to watch a Chicago Bears game … as long as you’re indoors.
As Hurricane Sandy barrels down on the East Coast, Chicago is also feeling its effects, with flights and trains cancelled and people being urged to stay away from the lakefront due to a flood warning.
The tornado warning was in effect for southeastern DeKalb County, southern Kane County, western Kendall County and northeast LaSalle County until 2:15 p.m.
Temperatures dropped below freezing overnight in several parts of Chicagoland–ushering in a slightly earlier-than-normal end to the growing season.
Isolated thunderstorms are expected to continue throughout the afternoon on Monday, and don’t be surprised to see a non-threatening funnel cloud.
Severe thunderstorms passing through the Chicago area are expected to give way to cooler temperatures this evening.
The near-record breaking heat that blanketed the Chicago area on Wednesday is expected to give way to cooler air the remainder of the week.
Chicago has seen an “unusually large number” of days with 90-degree weather so far this year, the National Weather Service said in a statement issued Sunday.
Severe thunderstorms are moving through Chicago area Sunday that could produce 100 mile per hour winds and quarter size hail, according to the National Weather Service.
- Four Schools To Be Spared From Closing; Another To Be DelayedHours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.415
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!