The lockout may have been a black eye for the NHL, but here in Chicago, it’s done nothing but increase interest in the Blackhawks.
As the Blackhawks prepared to kick off this 48-game season Saturday against the Kings in LA, the head coach said he’s expending big things from Patrick Kane both on and off the ice.
In an effort to endear themselves to a calloused fan base, the Blackhawks took out a full-page ad in the Chicago Tribune, thanking fans for their “patience and loyalty” during the lockout.
The Blackhawks will open their shortened, 48-game season on Jan. 19 against the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings.
Hockey fans rejoice – your sport is returning soon.
Now that the ugliness of the lockout is behind us, I’ve been spending most of my day (and NHL 13 video game season) contemplating how the 2013-13 (heh) Blackhawks will look and what we can expect from the season.
So there may be a hockey season after-all, and nobody seems to be happier than those who operate businesses near the United Center.
In this week’s That Thing You Missed, Fab Melo gives new meaning to the term “banging your head against the wall,” a passionate Cowboys fan gets up in “arms” over missing the playoffs and the […]
After a long night of talks, the NHL and the union returned to the bargaining table, but not for long.
After a long night of talks, the NHL and the union are to return to negotiations — but not just yet.
The NHL has kicked the ball back to the players’ association in the form of another counteroffer as the sides play pingpong in the search for labor peace.
In an act of protest, 17-year-old Maggie Wagner isn’t shaving her legs until the NHL lockout ends.
Most everywhere Lou Billittier turns these days, the Buffalo restaurateur is reminded of the NHL lockout, and its impact on his blue-collar, sports-mad town where Dominik Hasek became a star and the French Connection is still revered.
If there is going to be any NHL hockey played this season, it won’t happen before New Year’s Eve.
The greatest running back ever had Bo stayed healthy and given up baseball? That’s a tough call. Most exciting? Most athletic? Those were for sure.
The tenor turned a bit after a second straight marathon day of NHL labor talks. Gone was some of the lightheartedness and rare optimism expressed about 24 hours earlier.
The prospect of a winter without pucks draws closer to reality as each day concludes without movement in the NHL’s labor dispute.
The NHL, the players’ association and now even federal mediators agree on one thing: the bickering sides are nowhere near a deal that would put hockey back on the ice.
The NHL has called off all games through Dec. 14, plus the 2013 NHL All-Star Weekend scheduled for Jan. 26-27 in Columbus, Ohio.
NHL players gave management a new proposal Wednesday that the union said left sides less than $40 million apart annually over a five-year contract.
- Divers Pull Body From Lake Michigan On South SideA young man's body has been pulled from Lake Michigan, not far from where a missing University of Chicago student is believed to have been when he vanished during last week's thunderstorms.405
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.4254
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!