Parking Meter Lease
At the Finance Committee hearing, City Corporation Counsel Steve Patton was asked whether the city could simply get out of the deal altogether.
After facing vociferous backlash from residents over the hated parking meter lease, two dozen Chicago aldermen have rushed to support the Emanuel administration’s agreement with the parking meter firm to offer free Sunday parking, as part of a series of proposed changes to the 75-year deal.
Chicago motorists will be able to park for free on Sundays at most city parking meters – except those in the downtown area – but at the cost of extended hours for many meters the rest of the week, under a series of changes to the hated parking meter deal, and settle a long-standing dispute between the city and firm.
The Better Government Association has been putting pressure on the Chicago City Council as city officials weigh possible privatization of Midway International Airport, in an effort to make sure it won’t turn out like the disastrous parking meter lease deal.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel has renewed the city’s efforts to lease Midway International Airport, but the plans scaled back from the one proposed—and then dropped—by former Mayor Richard M. Daley.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel has ordered an independent audit of the controversial $1.15 billion parking meter lease, to determine whether the city is being overcharged.
The company that leases Chicago’s parking meter system raked in $80 million last year, but now says the city owes it even more money.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s controversial plan to fund $1.7 billion worth of public construction projects with private money cleared a major hurdle Monday, after a City Council panel endorsed the plan, following five hours of debate and a mini-revolt from aldermen concerned about a lack of City Council oversight.
With 73 years left to go in a parking meter contract signed by the city of Chicago back in 2008, residents in Wicker Park are hoping a new City Hall administration can make a difference.
Mayor Richard M. Daley said Thursday that the prognosis for the city’s financial health is looking better than expected.
Mayoral candidate Miguel Del Valle says the parking meter privatization deal two years ago was a raw deal for Chicagoans, and if elected, he plans to renegotiate the contract.
- 3 Dead, 8 Hurt In Shootings Since Friday NightThe most recent fatal shooting happened about 1:50 a.m. Saturday in the Hyde Park community, roughly half a mile from President Barack Obama’s home in neighboring Kenwood.108
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!