Police Supt. Garry McCarthy
The number of people killed or wounded over the last few days added up to the single-most violent weekend in Chicago this year. Those killed ranged in age from 16 to 40.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Monday that the city should not necessarily have to end a contract with the anti-violence group CeaseFire, after its director was charged with domestic abuse for allegedly punching and kicking his wife.
Chicago’s top cop said Monday the concealed carry legislation approved by state lawmakers last week should have mandated more training before a person can carry a concealed fiream.
Chicago Police are expanding their so-called Operation Impact. That’s the saturation of high crime areas with foot patrols made up of new recruits.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Thursday that a recent move to step up foot patrols in some of the most violence-prone neighborhoods is paying off.
Chicago’s mayor and top cop are talking about how police handled unruly mobs downtown this past weekend, and what it might mean for visitors planning to come to the City this summer, reports WBBM Political Editor Craig Dellimore.
City officials on Monday suggested Chicago’s safer than it’s been in 50 years. In reality, the first quarter of the year is simply a return to normal after a huge spike in murders early last year.
Chicago Police are moving back toward community policing – by having officers on foot in some of the most violence-prone neighborhoods.
A day after a gun trafficking law named after slain Chicago teen Hadiya Pendleton made its way to the Senate floor, U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said he believes it has the best chance of becoming law out of all the gun control proposals being considered on Capitol Hill.
After the bloodiest January in the city in a decade — coming on the heels of a particularly violent 2012 — the killings slowed to a relative trickle in February.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Monday he has full confidence in Police Supt. Garry McCarthy, even in the face of criticisms from some Chicago aldermen about violent crime.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy has started having gun seizure news conferences on a regular basis; and he says he will continue to until laws change to require that the loss, theft or transfer of a gun is reported.
Police can safeguard students “crossing gang boundaries” to get to new schools after their Chicago Public Schools are closed, but there’s a “lot of work to do to make it happen,” Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Thursday.
Two Chicago men have been charged with the murder of Hadiya Pendleton, the 15-year-old high school honor student who was gunned down at a Kenwood neighborhood park late last month, only days after marching at President Obama’s inauguration.
Mayor Emanuel joined Superintendent Garry McCarthy and State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez in proposing higher and certain mandatory jail time for violent gun crimes.
Hadiya Pendleton’s family had said they wanted to keep politics out of the 15-year-old murder victim’s funeral and despite the political undertones, considering some of the guests, they mostly did.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Friday the search for the killer of 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton is at a critical point, but he said he can’t reveal any details, at the risk of jeopardizing the investigation.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said incidents in two neighborhoods on the same night this week showed police have the right strategy in reducing the number of 911 calls that officers respond to in person.
Starting this week, Chicago police are changing their responses to 911 calls. They’ll no longer come right away to reports of things like criminal damage to property, vehicle thefts, garage burglaries, or other crimes in which the suspect is no longer on the scene, and the victim isn’t in immediate danger.
As Kenwood neighborhood residents gathered at a local high school to remember a slain honors student Friday, a group of Chicago ministers announced the reward for information helping find Hadiya Pendleton’s killer has risen to $30,000.
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!