Prentice Women’s Hospital
As a Cook County judge granted the former Prentice Women’s Hospital building a three-week stay of execution, the Chicago Architecture Foundation opened an exhibit that features more than 80 designs that would preserve the structure.
The wrecking ball won’t claim the former Prentice Women’s Hospital building for at least three more weeks.
Not much is being said anymore about presidential debates, but in Chicago, there’s a hospital debate to talk about; a great debate about Northwestern University’s famous Prentice Women’s Hospital.
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks is expected to soon weigh in on whether to demolish the distinctive concrete cloverleaf building that once housed Prentice Women’s Hospital.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is not choosing sides in the battle over what to do with the building on Northwestern University’s Chicago campus that was Prentice Women’s Hospital – at least not publicly – and seems to be trying to play peacemaker in the debate between the university and preservationists.
Northwestern University is mobilizing more support for its plan to tear down the old Prentice Women’s Hospital in Streeterville and put up a new medical research center in its place.
A memo has been sent out to thousands of employees of Northwestern Memorial Hospital, warning of two recent mob attacks on doctors – one near Prentice Women’s Hospital, the other a few blocks north of the Northwestern hospital campus.
Prentice Women’s Hospital has again made the list of the most endangered historic places in the state.
Three Chicago hospitals and some aging movie theaters have topped the latest list of endangered historic buildings made by Preservation Chicago.
The Civic Federation is proposing a legal standard for nonprofit hospitals to qualify for property tax exemptions.
The Cook County Assessor’s Office is trying to collect property taxes from Prentice Women’s Hospital at Northwestern, as a dispute continues over the tax-exempt status of hospitals in Illinois.
For the first time, Cook County could soon be collecting property taxes from one of Chicago’s biggest and most successful hospitals.
Illinois State Sen. Iris Martinez (D-Chicago) is using a state decision to end tax breaks for some hospitals, as a lever to produce more charity care for the needy.
Three Illinois hospitals have been told they’ll have to start paying property taxes, but the hospitals warn the move will affect everyone’s health care.
The New Regal Theater on 79th Street and the Prentice Women’s Hospital in Streeterville have made the list for this year’s 10 most endangered historic places.
- History Of Tornadoes In Chicago AreaThe massive EF-4 tornado to hit Moore, Okla., is rare, but twisters with that kind of force have hit the Chicago area in the past, and have been extremely deadly.593
- Local Storm Chaser Describes ‘Sickening, Deafening Roar’ Of Oklahoma TornadoA south suburban man whose hobby is chasing storms was in Moore, Okla., on Monday when a massive tornado devastated the town, killing at least 24 people.224
- High School Duo Has Never Missed A Day Of ClassThey say no one's perfect, but one school in the far southwestern suburbs has not just one, but two students who have achieved perfection in one area.136
- Deadly Oklahoma Tornado Serves As Reminder To Prepare For Disasters“Tornado sheltering basics involved three steps – get in, get down and cover-up. The overall goal is to avoid flying and falling debris by putting as many barriers between you and the tornado as possible,” according to one expert at the National Weather Service in Norman, Oklahoma.121
- Lightning Strikes Damage Two Homes OvernightAt least two homes in the Chicago area were struck by lightning overnight as heavy thunderstorms plowed through the region.198
- Police Seek Help Identifying Female Homicide VictimPolice are asking for help to identify the body of woman or teen girl found strangled and badly burned in a Northwest Side Avondale neighborhood Dumpster Sunday night.137
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!