Public school administrators told lawmakers Thursday that some local districts would have to raise property taxes if legislators vote to have them cover the cost of teacher pensions.
She’s the Cook County Treasurer – the woman responsible for collecting property taxes, but now the Better Government Association has found the county did not collect thousands of dollars it should have gotten from Maria Pappas and her husband years ago.
Mitt Romney is the person who needs to put up or shut up in his dispute with Harry Reid. There is no reason to believe a word he is saying about his taxes.
Property owners who still haven’t paid their 2010 taxes are receiving one last chance to make good on their bills.
Falling property values mean falling tax revenues in Chicago.
Two Cook County property tax review analysts have been charged by federal authorities for accepting $1,500 in bribes to help cut some homeowner’s assessments.
The Chicago Public School System has not yet released its budget for the coming school year, but property taxpayers are already going to pay more.
South suburban Riverdale has the unfortunate distinction of having one of the nine worst municipal credit ratings in the nation, so the last thing some city leaders want is a new church that won’t pay any taxes, but that’s exactly what they’re going to get.
Gov. Pat Quinn says he did not want to kill the state of Illinois’ Circuit Breaker property tax grant program for low-income senior citizens, but he says he had little choice.
Cook County Treasurer Maria Pappas says the State’s Attorney is working to recover almost $7 million her office overpaid to the City of Country Club Hills and has yet to get back.
At a forum hosted by the Chicago Tribune on Wednesday, Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Gov. Pat Quinn agreed the ticking time bomb of underfunded public employee pensions is threatening to explode – or implode, as the governor put it.
A new study shows how far and how fast taxes have been going up in various municipalities in Cook County.
Union workers locked in a two-year contract dispute with Hyatt Hotels accused the Pritzker family who owns the hotel chain paying too little in property taxes, an allegation the hotel chain called “deeply offensive.”
One Chicago suburb is giving money back to its taxpayers.
Some suburbanites are feeling the pain of decreasing property values and increased taxes.
Cook County property owners will soon have an easier time finding online information about their homes and property taxes.
Residential property assessments are down as much as almost 10 percent in DuPage County.
An Illinois House member says it’s not fair that property taxes go up when home values are plummeting.
Cook County seniors who own homes are advised to read their property tax bills carefully, because officials say homeowners could be missing an extra chance to save serious money.
It’s a cruel reality. Property taxes are up all over Chicagoland, according to a new report. In the city and suburb after suburb, property values are dropping, but tax levies for schools and services are going up.
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7479
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Weekend Death Toll Rises To 8 After Two Men Die Of Gunshot InjuriesTwo men critically wounded in weekend shootings died Monday, raising the death toll for 2013’s most violent weekend to eight. At least 39 other people were wounded in shootings across the city, authorities said.163
- Mystery Substance Prompts Closure Of Indiana BeachSwimmers have been ordered out of Lake Michigan at Porter Beach because of a substance in the water. WBBM's Nancy Harty has more.6566
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!