Sun-Times photojournalists who were fired last week staged a protest rally – along with some of their family members, former colleagues and other supporters – outside the newspaper’s offices in the River North neighborhood on Thursday.
Activists have raised questions about the future of a South Side hospital, due to financial troubles.
Parents and other community members met outside a West Side school Friday morning, in an effort to make sure Chicago Public Schools officials and the mayor hear what they have to say about the closing of 49 elementary schools.
A 3rd grader from the South Side has become an Internet sensation, after delivering a rousing speech at a rally against school closings earlier this week.
Hundreds of nursing home staff members and others rallied outside the Thompson Center on Monday, trying to fend off new cuts for medical services.
A few hundred employees of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services rallied in front of the Thompson Center this afternoon, protesting layoffs at the agency.
Thousands of striking teachers and their supporters were marching down Michigan Avenue on Thursday, after rallying outside a hotel owned by the billionaire family of a Chicago Board of Education member.
Thousands of public school teachers and their supporters have flooded downtown streets Monday afternoon, for a rally in front of Chicago Public Schools headquarters on the first day of the city’s first teachers’ strike in 25 years.
The sound level was high, but the impact yet to be determined, as a college junior collected about 15 supporters outside City Hall, leading a rally against the city’s violence problems, as activists donned T-shirts reading “Enough, Chicago.”
The Rev. Jesse Jackson led a group of nearly 100 people who picketed outside of a River North movie theater on Saturday, calling for a ban on the sale and possession of assault weapons.
Dozens of protesters rallied at the site of a new West Loop office development along the Chicago River on Tuesday, upset that taxpayers’ money is supporting the construction.
Thousands of anti-NATO activists were staging a rally outside McCormick Place during the NATO summit Sunday afternoon, after marching from Grant Park.
Is the city of Chicago double-crossing demonstrators planning protests during the weekend of the NATO summit? That’s what protest organizers are charging, claiming the city is going back on its word on where and how two big marches will conclude.
After learning their protest rally could be much larger than originally anticipated, city officials have told National Nurses United that they must change the route of their march to avoid the Loop.
- Weekend Death Toll Rises To 8 After Two Men Die Of Gunshot InjuriesTwo men critically wounded in weekend shootings died Monday, raising the death toll for 2013’s most violent weekend to eight. At least 39 other people were wounded in shootings across the city, authorities said.163
- Mystery Substance Prompts Closure Of Indiana BeachSwimmers have been ordered out of Lake Michigan at Porter Beach because of a substance in the water. WBBM's Nancy Harty has more.216
- Man Dies After His Head Is Impaled On Fence During FightA man was murdered Sunday night by someone who struck him in the head, causing him to become impaled on a wrought iron fence in the South Side Burnside neighborhood.319
- Indiana Woman Who Received Death Sentence At 16 Released From PrisonThe first taste of freedom in 27 years, that's what a 43-year-old woman from Gary, Indiana is enjoying tonight, after going to prison for murder. Roseanne Tellez reports, she has an unlikely supporter as she starts her new life: her victim's grandson.263
- Chief Keef Pleads Guilty To Speeding, Faces Second Paternity SuitChicago rapper Chief Keef was served Monday in a second paternity lawsuit as he appeared in a Cook County courtroom to plead guilty to a speeding violation, the Sun-Times is reporting.257
- Four Contract E Coli After Eating At Lombard RestaurantFour people contracted E. coli after eating at a west suburban restaurant, which has since been closed, DuPage County health officials said.322
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!