Rehabilitation Institute Of Chicago
When Michael Gore stands, it’s a triumph of science and engineering. Eleven years ago, Gore was paralyzed from the waist down in a workplace accident, yet he rises from his wheelchair to his full 6-foot-2-inches and walks across the room with help from a lightweight wearable robot.
Two Chicago area residents have received invitations to attend President Obama’s State of the Union address, for markedly different reasons.
A day before he returns to Congress, U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk said the stroke he suffered last January “was a gift from God,” because of the people he’s met during his rehabilitation, and “the inner faith that I developed.”
Nearly a year after a stroke left him barely able to move the left side of his body, U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk is expected to climb the 45 steps to the Senate’s front door this week — a walk that’s significant not just for Illinois’ junior senator, but also for medical researchers and hundreds of thousands of stroke patients.
He thought he simply had a high fever, but a Round Lake Beach man actually had Legionnaire’s Disease, a deadly form of pneumonia that nearly killed him.
The metal on Zac Vawter’s bionic leg gleamed as he climbed the 103 floors of Chicago’s iconic Willis Tower, becoming the first person ever to complete the task wearing a mind-controlled prosthetic limb.
Hundreds of people will be taking part in a charity climb to the top of the Willis Tower Sunday, but all eyes will be on one man.
U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk’s office has released a new video showing parts of his continuing recovery from a major stroke in January.
U.S. News & World Report placed Northwestern Memorial Hospital as the 12th on its list for best medical centers in the country this year.
Less than a week after he was released from the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, following his stroke earlier this year, U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) has released a video in which he thanks his doctors, and shows various parts of his intense rehab to learn to walk again.
Nearly four months after suffering a stroke, U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) has been released from the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago and is now back at his Highland Park home.
It happened in the Australian wilderness. A young police officer was bitten by a mosquito and became immobilized, a quadriplegic who also cannot speak. Now he has traveled from down under to Chicago. Here, police officer Ryan Marron hopes he can regain what was lost.
The 52-year-old Republican is adapting well to the program following the stroke he had the weekend of Jan. 21, doctors say.
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago is moving ahead with its plans for a new hospital on the site of the old CBS Building, according to a published report.
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Illinois Senate Passes Medical Marijuana LegislationIllinois Gov. Pat Quinn must decide if he will sign a measure allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes after the state Senate approved legislation on Friday.1238
- Teen Fatally Stabbed In Fight Outside Suburban Grocery StoreRomeoville police say a 17-year-old boy and a 22-year-old man got into a fight in the parking lot outside the Jewel-Osco on Weber Road.432
- Powerball Jackpot At $600 Million: Most Common NumbersThe Powerball jackpot was increased Friday to $600 million, making it the largest Powerball jackpot ever.781
- Police Believe Alleged Con Man Had Scores Of Victims In 4 StatesPark Ridge police were asking for the public’s health in a fraud investigation against a man they said has been using a fake identity to fleece people in at least four states.148
- Family Helping Fund Research For Rare Disease That Struck Son, DaughterThey start out growing up like any other child, until a seizure strikes. It's the first sign of a deadly, rare brain disease that robs children of their abilities before taking their lives. This weekend, you can help a Downers Grove family try to find a cure for Batten Disease.226
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!