Highwood Ald. Harvey Knapp is from Britain. He was appointed to the city council five months ago to fill a vacancy. At the time, neither he nor Highwood’s mayor realized state law requires municipal officials to be citizens.
George says the Pope is a very private person and his public role was the most difficult for him.
Pope Benedict XVI’s decision to step down has surprised many Catholics around the world, including church leadership in Chicago.
South Side Ald. Sandi Jackson’s resignation takes effect on Tuesday.
A month after denying rumors she planned to step down, Ald. Sandi Jackson (7th) has submitted a resignation letter to the mayor’s office, effective Tuesday, citing the need to focus on “very painful family health matters.”
As Congress returned from its Thanksgiving break on Tuesday, Jesse Jackson Jr.’s resignation from Illinois’ 2nd Congressional District was made official on Tuesday.
Jesse Jackson Jr. resigned from Congress last week amid health problems and reported plea-deal negotiations with federal prosecutors.
The day after former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. resigned from Congress, things were quiet at the home of Jackson’s famous father. But Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. did come out to talk to reporters on Thanksgiving.
Rev. Jesse Jackson said Wednesday that his son Jesse Jackson Jr.’s decision to resign from Congress has caused “a great sense of pain” for his family, but he said they’ve been encouraged by all the support they’ve received from the public.
CBS 2′s Walter Jacobson looks back at Jesse Jackson Jr.’s rise from a promising political star to a man beset by serious health problems and a federal probe of possible wrongdoing.
CBS 2’s Dana Kozlov broke the news of Jackson’s resignation to a lot of his former constituents in the 2nd Congressional District. The reaction was decidedly mixed.
Many political leaders in Chicago were saying it’s a sad day to learn U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. has resigned from Congress.
Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr’s wife, Ald. Sandi Jackson (7th), was in Washington, D.C., when her husband’s letter of resignation was delivered this afternoon. As CBS 2’s Dorothy Tucker reports, according to multiple sources, there’s a good possibility Ald. Jackson might not have known her husband was submitting his resignation today.
Now that Jesse Jackson Jr. has resigned his seat in Congress, Gov. Pat Quinn must set the date for an election to fill the seat. Cook County Clerk David Orr has a plan — and hopes the courts will go along.
Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. has resigned from Congress, citing health reasons and an intensifying federal investigation into the use of his campaign funds.
There has been no official response from the Jackson family to the exclusive CBS 2 report that Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. has been negotiating a plea deal with federal prosecutors that would lead to his resignation for health reasons and likely jail time. Reactions among his constituents on Saturday were mixed.
Robert Blagojevich, who was caught up in the federal investigation that saw his brother Rod Blagojevich sent to prison for 14 years, said U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald’s decision to resign was a good day for justice, claiming Fitzgerald overreached and was unfairly allowed to gather unchecked power.
Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White is renewing his call for indicted state Rep. Derrick Smith (D-Chicago) to step down, and says the lawmaker would have done so if not for the paycheck.
One week after voters in north suburban Lincolnwood District 74 overwhelmingly rejected a referendum to finance construction of a new school building, its two top leaders are out.
U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said Saturday that it was time for Michael Hogan to resign as president of the University of Illinois, but his resignation won’t cure the university’s problems.
- Senate Passes Ban On Handheld Cell Phones While DrivingThe proposal says drivers must use hands-free devices or speakerphone features.127
- Three Stabbed On Northwest SideThree teenagers were stabbed in the Belmont Cragin area Thursday night on the Northwest Side.142
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!