If gun owners are allowed to ride the CTA armed, its union leaders want to arm transit personnel to the teeth, also, but the union says allowing commuters to carry guns on buses and trains would be “disastrous.”
The CTA was supposed to unveil its 2013 budget Thursday – but canceled the presentation minutes before a scheduled news conference because of overnight progress in talks with its two major unions.
With the two-week trauma of the Chicago teachers’ strike now behind him, Mayor Rahm Emanuel has turned his attention to other labor challenges ahead. Police officers, firefighters, and transit workers are all either in contract talks, or getting ready to start negotiations.
The CTA won’t increase fares or cut service in the coming year — if its unions agree to $160 million or more in work rule changes.
Chicago Transit Authority President Forrest Claypool is still hinting at a possible fare increase, after announcing the elimination of 200 non-union positions in an effort to partially fill a big budget hole.
The CTA says it faces a $277 million budget shortfall in the coming year. It won’t say yet that it plans fare hikes or service cuts, but CTA President Forrest Claypool made it clear he’s targeting union work rules.
Several hundred people gathered in the Thompson Center plaza on Saturday to voice support for the jobs plan unveiled Thursday by President Obama.
- The List: Chicago Schools To Be ClosedThe Chicago School Board voted to close 49 underutilized or underperforming elementary schools on Wednesday as part of a plan to close a $1 billion budget deficit.492
- Board Votes To Close 49 Chicago Elementary SchoolsThe Chicago Board of Education on Wednesday voted to close 49 elementary schools, in what is believed to be the biggest single mass shutdown of schools in U.S. history.4834
- Lockdown Lifted At Morton West High SchoolMorton West High School has been placed on lock down for precautionary reasons after an unknown individual entered the building.558
- Former Glenbard East Student Accused Of Planning Columbine-Type AttackA 19-year-old former student at Glenbard East High School in Lombard was in custody on Wednesday, accused of planning a "Columbine-style" attack on the school, with a list of people he wanted to target.561
- Woman Robs North Side BankA woman robbed a Lakeview bank Tuesday afternoon on the city’s North Side.262
- Four Schools To Be Spared From Closing; Another To Be DelayedHours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.415
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!