And this deeper dilemma affecting U. of I. athletics is so discouraging that after reading this column, you very well may be driven to drink yourself.
According to multiple sources, key Illini boosters have made it clear to Illinois Athletic Director Mike Thomas that Weber’s $3.9 million buyout should not stand in the way of making a change.
Terry Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune joined The McNeil and Spiegel Show to break down college football.
The University of Illinois is on the clock. But it’s Bruce Weber and Ron Zook who can hear theirs ticking. At about 5 p.m. this evening Illinois will be without an official athletic director for the first time since 1992.
The University of Illinois has hired the firm Parker Executive Search to help the school find the successor to retiring athletic director Ron Guenther.
Ron Guenther has served as the Director of Athletics for the University of Illinois for the last 19 years. On Monday, he announced that he would retire after the competition of his contract on June 30.
There was a fire in Champaign this week. Early Wednesday, a blaze started in a building on Green Street – the main Campustown drag – and destroyed a couple of popular restaurants.
This is the risk you run when you recruit eighth-graders.
The Illini aren’t quite living up to expectations but coach Bruce Weber has a plan to fix the team’s problems. The Athletic Director has confidence in Weber too.
The State of Illinois is caught in a blizzard. And the state of Illinois basketball is caught in a bind.
So … which one digs itself out first?
As a University of Illinois season ticket holder, I’ve watched a lot of Ron Zook football during the past six years. Most of it bad.
Most Illini fans were pleasantly surprised by the team’s 5-3 start. But with back-to-back loses, Ron Zook is beginning to hear the criticism.
Two weeks ago there was talk of Illinois winning as many as nine games and playing in a Post New Years’ bowl game. Loses to Michigan and Minnesota in consecutive weeks have instead dampened those dreams and now the best the Illini can hope for is a 7-5 finish.
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) Vic Koenning talks defense in his own brand of coaching maxims, borrowing liberally from Vince Lomardi and Al Davis, and delivering it all in a dry Oklahoma twang. He wants his players […]
- Man Charged With Sex Trafficking For Second Time In Cook CountyA man previously convicted of sex trafficking in Cook County has been charged again, this time for allegedly kidnapping a Minnesota woman and bringing her to Chicago to work in the sex trade.201
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!