Federal prosecutors are challenging the contention by defense attorneys that Jesse Jackson Jr. should spend less time in prison because a lengthy sentence would cause his fragile mental health to deteriorate.
Federal prosecutors have recommended former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. be sentenced to four years in prison, and his wife, former Ald. Sandi Jackson, get 18 months behind bars, though they also suggested a judge should not send them both to prison at the same time.
A federal judge has denied former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr.’s request to keep part of his defense team’s sentencing memorandum sealed from the public, so he can keep details of his medical condition private.
As former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. and his wife, former Ald. Sandi Jackson, await sentencing on corruption charges, several people have sent in letters in an effort to influence the punishment a federal judge will mete out in July.
Prosecutors and defense attorneys could tussle over the former congressman’s mental health. CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine explains.
Today was the first time the Rainbow Push Coalition met since Jesse Jackson Jr. and his wife Sandi appeared in federal court in Washington.
In court documents filed as part of former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr.’s guilty plea to charges of misusing $750,000 in campaign funds for personal expenses, federal prosecutors detailed only a portion of the illicit expenses Jackson and his wife made using campaign cash and campaign credit cards.
An emotional former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. pleaded guilty in federal court in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday to misusing $750,000 in campaign funds.
It’ll be his and hers federal court hearings Wednesday as the Jacksons face justice in Washington D.C.
Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. released a statement Monday thanking those who have prayed for Jesse Jackson Jr. and his family. He also calls the hurt “indescribable.”
Disgraced former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Junior was remembered at the weekly meeting of his father’s Rainbow-PUSH Coalition.
Former congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. was formally charged Friday with improperly using campaign money for personal use, including a Rolex watch, trips and meals with a mistress.
Formal charges against Jesse Jackson Jr. could be filed as soon as Friday and Tuesday at the latest. His plea has also implicated his wife, leading to tax fraud charges against her.
A onetime Illinois Department of Transportation employee has been chosen by Mayor Rahm Emanuel to replace Ald. Sandi Jackson (7th).
As reports circulate of a Jesse Jackson Jr. plea agreement, a contrarian view arises from one who sees the investigation as a diversion from the city’s real problems.
Former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. has signed a plea deal with federal prosecutors, a deal which calls for him to plead guilty to misuse of campaign funds and let a federal judge determine whether he serves any time in prison, CBS 2 has learned.
Second Congressional District candidate Mel Reynolds on Wednesday urged federal authorities to focus on gun violence in Chicago, instead of alleged financial misdealings by former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. and his wife.
Mayor Emanuel is appointing a commission with people from the South Shore community to submit a list of three finalists for him to consider.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s office has so far received 42 applications for the vacancy in the 7th Ward following the resignation of Sandi Jackson.
Workers unloaded box after box at the Jackson family home, bringing dozens of boxes of books, cartons of files, and wardrobes of Jackson’s work clothes taken from his former office on Capitol Hill.
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!