Most tax filers are getting a refund after they file their 2012 return. With the average refund running about $3,000, a lot of people will be thinking about what to do with the extra cash.
When it comes to saving money, baby steps can add up to big payoffs.
Chicago’s Inspector General is out with his latest list of options that could help the city reduce its nearly $300 million budget shortfall.
The mayor estimates the healthcare cost savings will total tens of millions of dollars a year, by targeting and helping the small percentage of workers who cost the city the most for their health care.
Baby Boomers are facing a real financial squeeze as their savings dwindle, and their parents pass along less than anyone hoped.
The City of Chicago has cut its recycling costs by $1 million in the three months since the managed competition program began, Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced Tuesday.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel says the city has exceeded its pledge to save taxpayers $75 million for this year.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is announcing budget reforms that will ensure federal and state grants are spent in full, and thus, taxpayers are saved money.
A task force assigned with finding ways for Chicago and Cook County to save money by joining efforts has apparently found some.
This week marks a major milestone of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s young administration, and he is reflecting on his first 100 days in office.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel has hired an outside accounting firm to streamline the City of Chicago’s procurement and contracting process, in what he hopes will save tens of millions of dollars.
The Chicago Transit Authority says 54 positions will be eliminated, as part of budget cuts that will save the agency $15 million per year.
The Citizens Utility Board is planning a series of clinics next week in several Chicago suburbs to help consumers save money on their phone bills.
Gov. Pat Quinn is drawing criticism for a proposal to cut the state’s costs by merging school districts.
A cafeteria worker at Advocate Trinity Hospital on Chicago’s South Side spent a year saving her money, and today she gave it away – in the form of gifts to needy children at the hospital.
- Man Charged With Sex Trafficking For Second Time In Cook CountyA man previously convicted of sex trafficking in Cook County has been charged again, this time for allegedly kidnapping a Minnesota woman and bringing her to Chicago to work in the sex trade.201
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!