A woman staying at the Double Tree Hotel got a call late at night from a man claiming he was the front desk clerk, asking for her debit card information to verify her account at the hotel.
Move over, Manti Te’o. Two women tell CBS 2′s Brad Edwards how they were duped online by “men” they never met in person.
Authorities were warning Chicago area residents about scammers using skimming devices on ATMS to steal money from people’s bank accounts.
They wanted to start a small business or expand one, then they lost thousands of dollars to a Chicago company they paid to help them.
A 10th Chicago police officer has been indicted in the FBI’s ongoing investigation of a scheme in which tow truck operators were paying bribes to cops who steered them work.
A grandmother in far north suburban Round Lake Beach was scammed out of more than $4,000 after getting a frantic call from a person she believed was her granddaughter.
The Federal Trade Commission has estimated hundreds of millions of dollars are being collected by robocall scams, and it has sued five companies to stop the practice.
The Illinois Secretary of State’s office said Wednesday that about 200 corporations – many of them small businesses – have been caught up in a scam that looks official.
A west suburban man says he was scammed by an ad on Craigslist, and he says he cannot believe he fell for it since he’s not a typical victim.
Forty-four students at the College of DuPage, and two alleged ringleaders, are accused in a financial aid scam.
An Ohio man is in jail here in Cook County for 60 days – accused of a magazine sales scam – and a suburban police chief is upset because he thinks the sentence should have been tougher.
A West Garfield Park neighborhood man apparently believed he looked enough like an alderman – or that enough people had no clue what the alderman in question looked like – to go around impersonating the city lawmaker.
A sports agent from a prominent family is accused of selling seats to some of the hottest games in town, but never turning over the tickets.
A new cell phone theft scam is afoot around Chicago.
The Illinois Attorney General’s office and a West Side alderman teamed up Wednesday to warn seniors about consumer fraud.
Four contractors are being sued by the Illinois Attorney General for ripping off local homeowners, and one of the operations was first exposed by CBS 2′s Dave Savini during a hidden-camera investigation last year.
A lawyer is accused of taking his clients’ money and leaving them high and dry, as he tried to decide whether to party in Chicago or California.
Those in the Little Village neighborhood describe it as a form of terror: the looming threat of deportation. That may in part explain how a woman got away with impersonating an officer.
The Internal Revenue service has launched a nationwide attack on the problem of identity theft and false filing of tax returns.
It’s a scam so big thousands of people here in Chicago and around the country lost $5,000,000; and the Federal Trade Commission is still adding it up.
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.150
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- History Of Tornadoes In Chicago AreaTwisters with that kind of force that flattened Moore, Okla., have hit the Chicago area in the past, and have been extremely deadly.593
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!