Louisville’s press, Damyean Dotson’s upside and Denzel Valentine’s versatility are just three of the many reasons to love the Sweet 16.
It turned out that the Illini – and, most significantly, athletic director Mike Thomas – were indeed lucky. And in the end, that was good.
Despite the popularity of the clichéd, post-victory cry, nobody really “shocks the world.”
Mitch McGary had 21 points and 14 rebounds, and fourth-seeded Michigan breezed through Virginia Commonwealth’s vaunted pressure with a clinical performance Saturday, beating the fifth-seeded Rams 78-53 to advance to the NCAA round of 16 for the first time since 1994.
And this deeper dilemma affecting U. of I. athletics is so discouraging that after reading this column, you very well may be driven to drink yourself.
But because Thomas went after coaches that he – as well as the vast majority of other ADs in the country – couldn’t get, he ended up badly embarrassing Illinois. Twice. And, in turn, Thomas, along with more than a little help from the Illinois trustees and administration, has succeeded in making a very good coaching job look like a radioactive one.
Illinois has reportedly reached out to Brad Stevens about its head coaching vacancy and its interest in the Butler head coach is “high”.
Twelve years ago, after Lon Kruger bolted Champaign for NBA riches in Atlanta, it appeared that Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther had his successor in hand.
Thomas’ latest rejection has left him in a tough spot. Other candidates now know how much money Illinois is willing to spend.
VCU head coach Shaka Smart has turned down Illinois’ offer to become the next Illini men’s basketball coach.
Will Shaka Smart leave his post at VCU to join Illini Nation?
Up to the minute developments on the Illinois-Shaka Smart discussions.
Unless something “drastic” changes in the next day, it appears Shaka Smart will reportedly stay at VCU instead of taking the Illinois job.
Sources close to Simeon head coach Robert Smith say he has been in Champaign having conversations with Thomas about an assistant job.
As Illinois continues its search for a new head coach, new athletic director Mike Thomas is after one guy.
It’s difficult enough to hire the right basketball coach at Illinois, without choosing to limit the field of candidates beforehand.
When Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth’s coach and the apple of many an Illini fan’s eye, opted on Thursday to don an orange tie – and a blue shirt, to boot! – for VCU’s NCAA Tourney opener, both Twitter and Facebook burst alive with posts of breathless speculation.
With Bruce Weber officially out the door, here are nine possible Illini head coaching candidates.
According to a CBSSports.com report, VCU’s Shaka Smart will stay at the school, and not cash in on the team’s Cinderella run to the Final Four.
If the Butler Bulldogs win the national title, will they please leave?
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- Florida Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal Stabbing Of Bears FanA Florida man has pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears take on the Jaguars in October.619
- Man Critically Hurt In Jump From 3rd Floor Of HospitalA man was critically injured after attempting to jump from the window of a hospital Tuesday in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.201
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!