Former Illinois legislator Robin Kelly captured the Democratic nomination Tuesday in the race to replace disgraced ex-U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., after a truncated campaign season where she got a boost from New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s super PAC.
A polling place in Lincoln Heights was forced to close because of a nearby fire, according to a release from the Cook County Clerk’s office.
Early voting has begun for the February 26 special election to fill the seat of resigned Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr, but WBBM Political Editor Craig Dellimore reports it’s not the only seat up for grabs in the Chicago area.
As expected, there is a very crowded field of candidates vying to replace Jesse Jackson Jr. in Congress. Seventeen Democrats and five Republicans met Monday evening’s deadline to file nominating petitions to run for the 2nd Congressional District seat in the upcoming special election.
More than half a dozen Democrats turned in candidacy petitions Thursday to the Illinois Board of Elections.
State Sen. Donne Trotter has decided to end his bid to replace former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr.
“It’s not for me, and certainly elected office is not for me at this time,” Jonathan Jackson said on Tuesday.
The special election to replace former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. will be held April 9.
Illinois lawmakers have given preliminary approval to a plan to hold the special election for former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr.’s House seat on April 9.
Monday is the deadline for Governor Quinn to set dates for the special election to replace Jesse Jackson Jr.
A crowded field could line up to replace Jesse Jackson Jr. in Congress, once a special election is set up to fill his seat following his resignation on Wednesday.
Now that Jesse Jackson Jr. has resigned his seat in Congress, Gov. Pat Quinn must set the date for an election to fill the seat. Cook County Clerk David Orr has a plan — and hopes the courts will go along.
- BREAKING: Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- Employee At Dunbar High Suspended After Pushing Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Student Pulled Over And Robbed By Phony Police OfficerA man driving an unmarked white Ford Crown Victoria with interior flashing red and blue lights pulled the student over near Ballard and Bender roads in Des Plaines as she was driving to school around 7:30 a.m. on May 20.340
- Census Data: Chicago Slowest Growing Big City In U.S.Chicago gained nearly 10,000 people from July 2011 to July 2012, but was the slowest-growing major city in the country according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates released Thursday.130
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!