The biggest story at JR Motorsports wasn’t Danica Patrick this weekend. Well, not directly.
Shortly before the green flag at Richmond International Raceway for the Nationwide series race, news broke that longtime competition director – and sometimes crew chief – Tony Eury Sr. had left the company.
For the last time on the circuit, Danica Patrick turned her first laps at a track. Atlanta Motor Speedway is a “cookie cutter” 1.5 mile track, similar to Texas and Charlotte, tracks where Patrick has already been.
The spring Bristol Motor Speedway was not the same as the Bristol Motor Speedway the drivers came to this past weekend. After uneventful racing in the Spring, track owner Bruton Smith took bulldozers to the track and ground the top of the track, creating a whole new Bristol.
The last time Danica Patrick was at a road course, she ran one of the best races of the season. A last lap punt into the gravel by Jacques Villeneuve ended her run and caused a stir in the racing world. Villeneuve didn’t take responsibility but his actions resulted in an apology from Penske Racing and many fans and members of the community wondered if he should be allowed to continue to race.
In a rare occasion, Danica Patrick wasn’t in the spotlight during pre-race media availability. Thanks to a rare road course weekend, JR Motorsports brought in road course “ringer” Ron Fellows, even making a contest on Twitter out of his appearance, calling it #Fellows5.
Before Saturday’s race, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. had won the last three races at Iowa Speedway. Even when his engine blew and he was wrecking with teammate Carl Edwards, he still came to the checkered flag first to keep his wining streak alive.
When Danica Patrick announced she was leaving IndyCar, she was also leaving all the IndyCar tracks that went along with the series. She made it known Indianapolis Motor Speedway would always be in her heart and she would one day go back – and win.
When the NASCAR Nationwide Series pulled into Chicagoland Speedway, Danica Patrick was at home. Literally. The Roscoe, Ill., native calls Chicago home and a win at the track nestled just outside the city would be extra special.
Don’t buy gasoline in my town. That’s the message from the mayor of New Lenox.
All the Mega Millions players who’ve spent the past few days dreaming of how they would spend nearly $300 million now will have to start dreaming about what they would do with more than $350 million.
- Should Indoor Sprinklers Be Mandatory For New Homes?Safety advocates say new construction should include indoor sprinklers to make homes more fireproof. CBS 2's Chris Martinez looks at both sides of the debate.149
- Cop Shoots Trucker In Parking Lot Of Merrillville, Ind. Planned ParenthoodA police-involved shooting occurred in the parking lot of a Planned Parenthood office in Merrillville, Ind. Monday afternoon.254
- 25 Years Ago, Laurie Dann Went On Deadly Rampage On North ShoreIt was 25 years ago today when a tragedy unfolded in Winnetka.246
- Neighbor’s Dog Seriously Injures 9-Year-Old BoyA nephew of the dog owner was able to pull the animal off the boy, who suffered bites to his arms and legs.321
- Storms Likely On Monday Afternoon, EveningWarm, humid air over Chicago is likely to create some strong, isolated thunderstorms around the evening rush hour on Monday.431
- Three Teens Arrested After Large Fight On Lakefront On South SideThree teens were arrested on Sunday, after police broke up a large fight along the lakefront in the Jackson Park neighborhood.337
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!