Mike Leake combined with Aroldis Chapman on a three-hitter and Todd Frazier hit a tiebreaking home run in the seventh inning against Travis Wood, leading the Cincinnati Reds over the Chicago Cubs 2-1 Wednesday for their record 12th straight win at Wrigley Field.
What I’m instead wondering today is what Bryant’s presence might mean for Starlin Castro’s future. Because from my view, the arrival of a stud third base prospect very much could impact the fate of the Cubs’ 23-year-old shortstop – and not just because he might stand next to him on the field.
Dioner Navarro hit three home runs in a game for the first time in his career, connecting from both sides of the plate at Wrigley Field on Wednesday and leading the Chicago Cubs over the White Sox 9-3.
Alarm bells are going off, and nobody seems to notice or care.
Matt Harvey won his fifth straight decision, allowing five hits in 7 1-3 innings and singling in the go-ahead run in the seventh inning to lead the New York Mets over the Chicago Cubs 3-2 Friday.
Jeff Samardzija hit a two-run home run and pitched eight strong innings for his first win since opening day and the Chicago Cubs beat the Colorado Rockies 6-3 on Wednesday night.
Anthony Rizzo gained financial security for a long time, agreeing to a seven-year deal, worth $39 million, with a team option each of the last two years for $14.5 million each year.
Carlos Beltran and Jon Jay drove in two runs apiece, and the St. Louis Cardinals capped an impressive trip with a 5-4 victory over the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday.
Scott Feldman retired 18 straight on his way to his first career complete game and the Chicago Cubs took advantage of former No. 1 pick Andrew Cashner’s wildness in a 6-2 win over the San Diego Padres on Wednesday night.
Chicago’s Dioner Navarro homered in the ninth off Steve Cishek, who nonetheless earned his third save in four chances.
So, what if at some point this season – I’m not suggesting that the Cubs do it just yet – the team moved Castro to third, Valbuena to second and Barney to short?
Edwin Jackson and Michael Bowden tied a major league record by combining to throw five wild pitches in an inning, and the San Francisco Giants got another big assist from a Cubs pitcher in a three-run 10th in Sunday’s 10-7 victory over Chicago.
Starlin Castro’s ninth-inning double off the center-field wall gave the Chicago Cubs a 4-3 win Friday over the San Francisco Giants.
Edwin Jackson gave up two runs in five innings but lost to the Pirates for the first time in seven career starts. The Cubs produced just two singles and only put a runner on third once.
Here are three reasons each to love and hate the Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs respectively in 2013.
Castro left in the bottom of the fourth inning after pulling up on a ground ball to shortstop Wednesday during an 11-7 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro left Wednesday’s game against the Dodgers in Mesa, Ariz. after pulling up and grabbing his leg while running to first base.
Bryan LaHair homered and hit a game-winning single in the ninth inning, and the Chicago Cubs beat Houston 5-4 Wednesday in the Astros’ National League finale.
Mike Fiers tossed 7 1-3 solid innings to lead the Milwaukee Brewers to a 3-1 win over the Cubs on Wednesday night, their eighth straight victory against Chicago.
Cubs All-Star Starlin Castro isn’t going anywhere for some time.
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!