Starved Rock State Park
Spring is one of the most eagerly anticipated seasons in Chicago. What better activity to celebrate winter’s end than with an outdoor excursion to observe the blooming of spring flowers?
Ice climbing may sound like something you need to embark on an arctic exhibition to experience, however Chicago has its own similarities to the arctic, at least temperature-wise, and it offers some places nearby to practice your ice climbing as well.
It is easy to miss the changing of the leaves as the fall season generally flies by, however if you really want to enjoy them, there are several places around Chicago to do so.
Drive two hours away from everything you thought Illinois was, right into a state park that’ll have you falling in love with the state all over again. If you thought everything south of I-80 was a corn field, Starved Rock State Park will show you the error of your ways. With four miles of canyons slicing through sandstone bluffs, seasonal waterfalls, scenic overlooks of the Illinois River, 13 miles of hiking trails, camping and a remodeled 1930s lodge for roughing it in style, a weekend getaway to this little slice of heaven is an absolute must no matter the season.
Why not try something different for Mother’s Day this year? Instead of a Mother’s Day brunch, a spa treatment or breakfast in bed, how about treating mom to a picnic outside to enjoy the weather and nature. Mom can kick back, relax and still enjoy spending time with her family. She’ll enjoy homemade sandwiches Dad can make with the kids, or if that’s too adventuresome there are plenty of places where you can pick up some nice sandwiches and sides to take along with you.
An Indiana man drowned Sunday afternoon after falling off a rock in Starved Rock State Park and falling into the Illinois River.
The two bald eaglets rescued and raised in captivity after a springtime storm tore down their nest in Kane County are now creatures of the wild.
A juvenile bald eagle was on the mend Wednesday after being shot in north central Illinois.
Two bald eaglets that tumbled down with their storm-damaged nest in Kane County this spring are now juveniles and ready for the real world.
Instead of throwing a bon voyage party for two orphaned American eaglets, rehabbers are making them work for their supper so they will be ready to return to the wild.
Here’s a list of the top places to enjoy when heading out of Chicago with the family in tow.
Sometimes it’s nice to venture outside the city limits and explore a new area with the family. It’s great to teach kids that there is a lot more in the world beyond the skyscrapers, taxis […]
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Four Hurt In Wrong-Way Crash On Chicago SkywayA 25-year-old man has been cited for driving the wrong way on the Chicago Skyway, after a head-on crash with a pickup truck Thursday morning that sent four people to hospitals.232
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- RT @Millennium_Park: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole … 9 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoDCASE: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole htt… 9 hours ago