Activists staged a protest Thursday over Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s decision to wait until the legislature follows a court order and passes a new concealed carry law, rather than appeal the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Several state lawmakers have opted out of their legislative pensions, while the state continues to struggle with a massive pension debt, but a local budget policy group said the lawmakers’ actions are neither effective, nor relevant.
Illinois lawmakers abruptly adjourned a lame-duck legislative session Tuesday without agreement on how to fix the nation’s most dire pension crisis, declining even to vote on the governor’s last-ditch effort to let an independent commission sort out the $96 billion mess.
A coalition of West Side ministers was urging state lawmakers to reject legislation that would legalize same-sex marriage in Illinois, but at least one lawmaker said the ministers’ threat of political backlash against lawmakers who vote for gay marriage was nothing but an “empty threat.”
Gov. Pat Quinn says, when state lawmakers go back to Springfield for their final session before the new legislature takes over, addressing the pension mess has to be their top priority.
The Illinois House of Representatives has voted to expel state Rep. Derrick Smith (D-Chicago).
Gov. Pat Quinn is enlisting the support of Chicago’s business community to sell his Medicaid and pension reform plans to state lawmakers before the Legislature adjourns at the end of this month.
Some Illinois lawmakers say it’s time for some spring cleaning when it comes to the state’s laws.
State university officials have begun their annual trek to Springfield, testifying before panels of House and Senate lawmakers about what their financial needs will be for the upcoming fiscal year.
It’s not unusual for lawmakers to announce they won’t seek re-election in a redistricting year, but a Springfield political expert says that will present challenges this time around.
The Illinois Policy Institute, a government watchdog group, says Illinois state legislators could save the taxpayers lots of money on their personal expenses.
Business groups complained to Illinois lawmakers Tuesday about taxes, in the first of four hearings to examine the state’s tax structure after personal and corporate income taxes were raised earlier this year.
The story of autism hits home for a downstate lawmaker who is a parent of a child who suffers from the disorder.
State lawmakers in Indiana are working to enact some of the highest abortion restrictions in the country.
While tollway signs touting disgraced ex-Governor Rod Blagojevich came down two years ago, there’s a push to outlaw such public promotion in the first place.
CBS 2′s Walter Jacobson says lawmakers really dropped the ball by mixing so many tax increases into the state’s capital program, which has been ruled invalid by an appellate court.
As they begin their lame duck session Tuesday, Illinois state lawmakers are expected to tackle the issue of whether the state should recognize civil unions for same-sex couples.
- 3 Dead, 8 Shot In Citywide ViolenceThree men were killed and at least eight other people were wounded in violence around the city since Friday night.118
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Illinois Senate Passes Medical Marijuana LegislationIllinois Gov. Pat Quinn must decide if he will sign a measure allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes after the state Senate approved legislation on Friday.1238
- Teen Fatally Stabbed In Fight Outside Suburban Grocery StoreRomeoville police say a 17-year-old boy and a 22-year-old man got into a fight in the parking lot outside the Jewel-Osco on Weber Road.432
- Powerball Jackpot At $600 Million: Most Common NumbersThe Powerball jackpot was increased Friday to $600 million, making it the largest Powerball jackpot ever.781
- Police Believe Alleged Con Man Had Scores Of Victims In 4 StatesPark Ridge police were asking for the public’s health in a fraud investigation against a man they said has been using a fake identity to fleece people in at least four states.148
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!