The union and Quinn’s office had been negotiating for more than a year at a time when the relationship was already strained.
Gov. Pat Quinn has filed an appeal over a Cook County judge’s ruling that the state must pay wage increases promised to workers in 2011.
A Cook County judge has ruled that Gov. Pat Quinn must pay the 2011 wage increases promised in a contract with most state workers.
Congress isn’t the only government body facing a “financial cliff.” Illinois lawmakers also are being warned about the state’s dire financial situation, which could get even worse if the federal government has to slash funding to the states.
Gov. Pat Quinn received anything but a warm welcome at the Illinois State Fair on Wednesday, when a huge crowd of union protesters booed the governor as he took the stage.
With state lawmakers trying to hash out comprehensive pension reform by the end of the year, Illinois state workers are retiring in record numbers to make sure they preserve their existing benefits.
A conservative think tank has proposed an alternative state budget that would cut wages for state employees by 10 percent; require retired workers to pay for their own health care premiums; and force local school districts to fund teacher pensions, instead of the state.
Thousands of state workers are still fighting for the pay raises the governor canceled this summer, and some lawmakers are now joining the fight.
State lawmakers would have more control in collective bargaining for state workers under a proposal introduced by Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan (D-Chicago).
A federal judge has ruled against state employees in a dispute over whether Gov. Pat Quinn can cancel raises promised in union contracts.
Health insurance benefits have been extended for state workers.
Governor Pat Quinn continues to defend his efforts to block a negotiated pay raise for state employees.
Gov. Pat Quinn says he will fight to cancel pay raises for nearly 30,000 state workers, and he will go to court, if necessary, to do so.
Illinois lawmakers may consider steps to reduce the cost of health care for retired state workers.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!