Parents of kids at Chicago Public Schools have a huge stake in teacher contract talks, but no spot at the bargaining table; if there’s a strike, they’re left to wonder, “What will I do with my kids?”
For Chicagoans, there is no escaping the effort to avert a school strike – not even at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.
As he prepares to take the national spotlight this week at the Democratic National Convention with a possible teachers strike looming in Chicago, Mayor Rahm Emanuel said he’s confident the Chicago Public Schools and teachers will be able to set aside their differences and reach a fair contract agreement.
Tuesday is the first day of school for many Chicago kids, and that means Monday was the day for last-minute school shopping, but parents were also looking ahead to a possible teachers strike starting in one week.
With a strike deadline now a week away, thousands of Chicago Public Schools teachers and their supporters gathered in Daley Plaza on Monday to take their case for a new contract to the public.
The Chicago Republican Party says Mayor Rahm Emanuel should cancel his Democratic National Convention speech and focus on city leadership.
The Lyric Opera has reached an agreement with the union representing its performers, thus averting the threat of a strike that could have delayed the season.
- Senate Passes Ban On Handheld Cell Phones While DrivingThe proposal says drivers must use hands-free devices or speakerphone features.127
- Three Stabbed On Northwest SideThree teenagers were stabbed in the Belmont Cragin area Thursday night on the Northwest Side.142
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!