Supt. Garry McCarthy
Facing one of its deadliest months in a decade, Police Supt. Garry McCarthy will announce on Thursday that 200 officers currently on desk duty will be put on the streets.
In the latest effort to curb a murder rate that has propelled Chicago into the national spotlight this summer, police Supt. Garry McCarthy says gang members can no longer expect to be released on recognizance bonds.
It has been about a year since Chicago police brass promised to wipe out the Maniac Latin Disciples street gang on the Northwest Side, and a published report says the campaign appears to be working.
Twelve residential buildings on the South and West Side were scheduled to be torn down Thursday, in an effort to eliminate hives for gang activity and violent crime.
Violence has become not just a problem for Chicago’s most dangerous areas, but the adjoining neighborhoods as well.
In the wake of a rash of violent crime that has plagued the city in recent days, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy announced plans Tuesday to place officers on overtime so they can saturate the most troubled areas.
Chicago Police are already out in force as the NATO Summit approaches, and they will be getting a lot of help from all over the country.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy on Friday announced a major shakeup at the Chicago Police Department, with a big impact on some of the city’s toughest neighborhoods.
A Chicago Police officer nearly killed last week in a shooting has an extra reason for getting better and returning to the street.
A high-ranking member of a Northwest Side gang says a police crackdown has paralyzed the gang and sharply cut into its drug sales.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy is being ordered to answer questions in a lawsuit filed in connection with a fatal police-involved shooting.
Police say on Wednesday, no shootings or homicides were reported in Chicago for a period of 24 hours, for the first time in nearly a year.
Seven teens – six boys and a girl – have been charged in connection with the brutal beating in the Bridgeport neighborhood this past weekend that went viral on YouTube.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy is acknowledging there were “issues” with the cameras inside the Calumet District police lockup on the city’s Far South Side, where two inmates hanged themselves within four days.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy says he has no problem with treating low-level drug cases differently, but he draws the line at decriminalizing marijuana.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy says he is proud of the way his officers have handled the Occupy Chicago protests still underway in the city.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel acknowledged Monday that some Chicago Police District stations might be closed as part of his administration’s plans to trim the budget and increase the number of beat cops.
Police Supt. Garry McCarthy is not looking to hire more officers anytime soon, saying he needs to get more out of those already on the force.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is set to announce plans to put 114 Chicago Police officers back on the street, redeploying them from specialized units and administrative posts.
Mayor Emanuel is promising that cuts to the police budget will not jeopardize public safety.
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- School Warns Parents Of Kidnapping Attempt On PlaygroundA man tried to abduct a 4th grader from the playground at Alexander Graham Bell Elementary School at 3730 N Oakley Ave on Wednesday.150
- Senate Passes Ban On Handheld Cell Phones While DrivingThe proposal says drivers must use hands-free devices or speakerphone features.127
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!