Public school administrators told lawmakers Thursday that some local districts would have to raise property taxes if legislators vote to have them cover the cost of teacher pensions.
Chicago teachers are in the planning stages of a massive three-day walk to protest a decision to close 53 schools. Participants plan to march to each of the targeted buildings on May 18, 19 and 20.
The head of the Chicago Public School system has been trying to reassure parents of students with special needs that they won’t suffer if their current schools are consolidated or closed.
A few ways teachers can take that crushing anguish they’ve acquired while fighting for their communities and relieve it just the tiniest bit.
A group of about 50 teachers, parents and students from the Chicago Public Schools boarded a bus to Springfield Tuesday morning, to make their voices heard about school closings.
There were rallies at schools across the city today as parents and teachers organize to save neighborhood schools.
The state’s largest teachers’ union is pledging to fight any attempt to allow teachers to carry guns in the classroom.
James P. Hoffa and Dick DeVos have vastly differing views of unions, which is why in this heated political climate battles are raging across America over unions in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, California and other states, the two took time to participate in CBS Local Digital Debate.
Teachers in Community Consolidated School District 46 in far north suburban Grayslake are being asked to take a pay freeze.
The Geneva Education Association apparently has declared an impasse in negotiations with the school board, and administration officials were surprised to hear it.
Today on the CBS Local forum, Romney and Obama were asked: What will you do to make the U.S. more energy independent?
When it comes to America’s future, the issue of education rises to the top for many which is why Obama and Romney were asked to weigh in on it as well.
Teachers walked off the job Oct. 2, but contract negotiations have occurred regularly since then.
Union representatives for Evergreen Park School District 124 teachers left contract negotiations late Monday and said members will strike Tuesday.
Elementary School teachers in Evergreen Park are edging closer to walking off the job.
Teachers in southwest suburban Evergreen Park have set next Tuesday as a strike date if there is no contract agreement by then.
Although the teachers’ strikes in Chicago and Lake Forest have been resolved, negotiations are at a critical point in several other Chicago-area districts, including North Shore School District 112 in Highland Park.
Teachers in a third local school district could go on strike next month, joining their counterparts in Chicago and Lake Forest in staging a walkout amid stalled contract talks.
CBS 2′s Derrick Blakley talks with a variety of people who would love to see schools reopen for classes.
The president of a conservative think tank says Mayor Rahm Emanuel should “go all Ronald Reagan” and fire all the teachers in the Chicago Public Schools system if they do not end their strike.
- Winning Powerball Ticket Sold In FloridaIt's all about the odds, and one lone ticket in Florida has beaten them all by matching each of the numbers drawn for the highest Powerball jackpot in history at an estimated $590.5 million, lottery officials said Sunday.129
- 12 Arrested After Youth ‘Flash Mobs’ Erupt On Michigan AvenueOne adult and 11 juveniles were arrested Saturday night after police responded to groups of teens running through traffic around North Michigan Avenue on the Gold Coast.407
- Jail Inmate Charged With Previous Murder, Shooting In RobbinsA Cook County Jail inmate faces new charges in connection with a 2012 murder and a separate 2011 shooting in south suburban Robbins, the Cook County Sheriff’s office announced Saturday.60
- Teen Hurt In Little Village ShootingA 14-year-old boy was shot in the arm Saturday afternoon in the Southwest Side Little Village neighborhood.86
- Man Charged With Videotaping Women In Hospital WashroomA poorly secured cell phone in a west suburban hospital washroom that a man had allegedly set up to secretly videotape women in the toilet area was discovered by a woman when the phone fell to the washroom floor on Friday. She alerted police, who then arrested and charged a 49-year-old Franklin Park man with unlawful videotaping.156
- Young Man Shot Outside Old Orchard Shopping CenterA young man was wounded in a shooting in north suburban Skokie Friday night, outside the Old Orchard Shopping Center.227
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!