What does it take to make a great Broadway musical? A talented score, a clever book, great singing and dancing, impressive costumes and an engaging set. Do all great musicals hit all of these points equally well? Of course not. But “Kinky Boots” does.
The nominations were announced Tuesday in a televised event co-hosted by Tony winner Sutton Foster and “Modern Family” star Jesse Tyler Ferguson. The awards will be broadcast on CBS from Radio City Music Hall on June 9.
Gorilla Tango Theatre performs some of the best burlesque in Chicago. Infused with humor and an underlying intelligence, it’s some of the bester entertainment you’ll find on stage ANYWHERE. See their newest show, a Doctor Who parody titled “Don’t Blink,” NOW!
Did 2012 break you, too? Did it stomp you into the little, wretched human being your mother always claimed you’d turn into? Just shake it off, buddy. Seriously, everyone has a bad day… week… year… every once in awhile. It happens. All you need to do is blow off some steam. Here’s how you can do that on NYE…
When it comes to independent movie theaters, get ready to look beyond the multiplex for historic and unique gems in Chicago.
What does August have in store for us? Read about the best events happening in Chicago right here!
To use a cliché and say that The Logan Theatre has “had a facelift” would be an understatement. Everything seems new. From the floor to the ceiling, the insides of The Logan barely seem like the same theatre. In fact, everything is so darn nice, dates won’t be offended when I take them there anymore. How unfortunate.
A little neighborhood theatre located in Bucktown, Gorilla Tango creates a feeling of closeness for those who attend shows there. Literally. It only seats about fifty people, but I think this works in its favor, closing that gap of separation you might feel while watching a bigger production, pulling the crowd into everything that happens onstage just a little bit more.
The dawn of a new year is particularly exciting for local theatre-goers, as it signals the start of new seasons of productions around town. While the Broadway-style shows in the Loop often steal the limelight, there’s never a shortage of top-quality theatre to experience outside of downtown. Neighborhood theatres are too often one of those things that people discover only after having lived in a particular area for a long time…
There aren’t enough hours in the day to check out every noteworthy art event in Chicago. But there are a few events that you just can’t afford to miss. Here’s our quick guide to five must-see events and exhibits in Chicago in December.
There aren’t enough hours in the day to check out every noteworthy art event in Chicago. Here are our can’t-miss picks for November.
Comedy, Concerts, Museums, And More For Free!!
Want to start exploring Chicago’s vibrant theatre scene, but aren’t sure where to start? Here are some safe bets that not only entertain, but perhaps may entice you, or your guests, to explore even further.
While many theatre Chicago companies produce family-friendly shows throughout their seasons, there are also a handful of companies throughout the city devoted to creating theatre geared for kids and young adults.
While seeing a show in one of Chicago’s many smaller theatres is very cost-effective, there are a few “public access” theatres and discount ticket programs that offer a super cheap – or even free – options.
- Mount Prospect Man Falls To Death From Albany Park RoofA Mount Prospect man fell to his death from a roof in Albany Park Friday afternoon.110
- 3 Dead, 8 Hurt In Shootings Since Friday NightThe most recent fatal shooting happened about 1:50 a.m. Saturday in the Hyde Park community, roughly half a mile from President Barack Obama’s home in neighboring Kenwood.198
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!