Video of truck trailers flying through the air in North Texas underscore National Weather Service reminders that when they suggest taking cover from tornadoes, they’re very serious.
Severe weather that hit the Dallas Fort Worth airport Tuesday is having a ripple effect at O’Hare, after American Airlines stopped operations at its Texas hub.
It might as well be mid-May, with temperatures climbing to 70 degrees and springtime thunderstorms making their way toward the area.
Retailers are working hard to keep weather radios in stock, after tornadoes devastated parts of downstate Illinois and other Midwest locations last week.
U.S. Rep. and Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-Texas) says victims of the tornados in downstate Harrisburg and elsewhere in the Midwest and South shouldn’t receive any federal aid, and should instead buy insurance.
Authorities say tornadoes have left widespread damage in southern Indiana and a sheriff’s official says at least one town is “completely gone.”
If you think a tornado passed through your backyard during the wild storms on Tuesday evening, you might be right.
Conditions are cool and fairly calm now, but many Chicago area residents remain without power Thursday morning and crews are still cleaning up from two tornadoes that hit the suburbs.
Emergency preparedness officials warn that the severe storms that have blanketed much of the nation this spring could just as easily hit here. They stress taking steps in advance to be ready.
Tornadoes can hit at any time of year, but here in the Midwest, they’re more likely in April, May and June and more likely in certain areas near Chicago.
The American Red Cross of Greater Chicago wasted no time putting nurse Mary Witherspoon to work when she volunteered to work with them at disaster scenes in January.
Snow, rain, hail and umbrella-flipping winds have plagued Chicago in recent days, but all that was tame compared to the weather downstate.
The American Red Cross of Greater Chicago has sent equipment and a disaster-relief worker to North Carolina, which has been hard hit by deadly tornadoes.
A warm yet cloudy Saturday will make way for a dramatic Sunday, as a mixture of warm temperatures and heavy wind gusts could produce tornadoes in the Chicago area.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!