Relatives of a Chicago couple murdered decades ago will have to wait even longer to find out if the man convicted of the killings will have his case retried.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports former police commander Jon Burge confirms he told a blogger he has trouble believing city leaders would even contemplate giving reparations to “human vermin” like the “guilty, vicious criminals” he tried to take off the streets.
WBBM’s Mariam Sobh reports more than 100 people gathered at the Chicago Temple at 77 W. Washington where torture survivors, psychologists and alderman spoke about the need for not only money, but social services for survivors of police brutality and their family members.
A twisted murder plot by a former Chicago police officer ended Thursday with Steve Mandell sentenced to life in prison, plus five years.
Steve Mandell might have been convicted in one of the grisliest and most lurid federal trials in Chicago’s recent history, but he deserves a “glimmer of hope that he will one day be free at an old age,” his attorney Francis Lipuma argues in a court filing ahead of Mandell’s sentencing next month.
As former police commander and allleged torturer Jon Burge walks from prison to a half-way house, torture victims are renewing their call for millions in compensation from the city, reports WBBM’s John Cody.
A former Chicago police commander in federal prison for lying about the torture of suspects by officers under his command is expected to be released Thursday, his lawyer said.
A defense attorney for Jose Horta, 21, had argued that his client’s sentence stood out as unusually harsh in comparison with other defendants convicted in the case.
Accused of using a blowtorch in the 2011 torture-murder of Waukegan resident David Campbell, Nadia Palacios pleaded guilty to first-degree murder Tuesday in Lake County Circuit Court.
The man accused of holding a gun on 27-year-old David Campbell as he was tortured and killed in a north suburban Waukegan body shop in July 2011 was sentenced Thursday to 59 years in prison.
Steven Mandell was accused of plotting to kidnap, torture, extort money, and then kill and dismember Riverside businessman Steve Campbell in an office he and an accomplice had equipped with saws and a sink in which to drain the victim’s blood.
Jurors watched videotape footage of former Chicago cop Steve Mandell laughing as he discussed mutilating the genitals of a businessman as part of a macabre alleged double murder plot Friday morning.
Federal prosecutors unveiled chilling video in the trial of former Chicago cop Steve Mandell. CBS 2’s Mike Parker reports.
The construction and planning of a torture chamber at his Northwest Side office took center stage in federal court on Wednesday, the second day of what’s expected to be Mandell’s two-week trial for a pair of separate murder plots.
Former Chicago cop Steve Mandell and alleged accomplice Gary Engel aimed to pose as cops to abduct Riverside businessman Steve Campbell, tie him to a wheelchair, blindfold him, mutilate his genitals, then drug him with Ambien sleep pills and kill him, federal prosecutors said.
Former Chicago cop Steve Mandell and the key government witness who helped set him up are due to face each other across a packed courtroom Tuesday on the first day of what’s likely to be one of the wildest federal court cases Chicago has seen in years
Steve Mandell admitted he could be heard on audio tapes talking about killing, draining the blood and even dismembering one of the men he says he was hired to investigate. But it was all talk, he told jurors.
The Commission that is charged with investigating accusations of torture involving Chicago Police Officers has decided it needs additional information before deciding what to do about three of the cases before it, WBBM’s Bob Roberts explains.
When a skeletal Andre Ford was wheeled into court last week, even prosecutors said the ailing man was too frail to beat the 8-year-old daughter he is accused of murdering, but what Ford couldn’t do with his hands, he allegedly did with his mouth.
The Chicago City Council has given final approval to $12 million in settlements for two men who say they were tortured into giving false confessions to several 1988 murders, reports WBBM Political Editor Craig Dellimore.