You might want to check some of those Christmas presents before it’s too late.
The Evanston Salvation Army need a storefront to wrap gifts, assemble baskets and serve its clients.
Parents looking for the best deals on toys for their kids’ Christmas gifts can sleep in the day after Thanksgiving, also known as Black Friday.
What do you get the guy or gal whose birthday you’re attending that you barely know? A gift card? Too aunt-y. Socks? What are you, a creep? What you need is a trinket, my dear — holiday tchotchkes, everyday baubles, and birthday bric-a-brac. The following are some of Chicago’s fine purveyors of them.
Chicago’s North Michigan Avenue is the place to shop ‘til you drop. From high-end boutiques to funky fashion hotspots, there’s a shop to satisfy everyone. Even kids will find a shop or two that meets their wildest shopping dreams. Here are my top seven picks for fun and kid-friendly shops on the Magnificent Mile.
If gift cards are burning a whole in your kid’s pockets, there’s no shortage of after Christmas sales to choose from. Spend that hard earned Christmas cash, gift cards or store credit wisely. Stores are boasting big savings for the new year. According to Google, ecommerce sales from December 26-January 15th in 2011 were higher than they were on Black Friday.
Some toys imported from China won’t make it under Chicago area Christmas trees, after Customs and Border Patrol officers found they were full of lead and other toxic chemicals.
It’s that time of the year again, early birds! Grab a cup of coffee, set the alarm and make a list. This year, you might not even need to go to bed at all. With many retailers staying open on Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday is starting earlier than ever. Some retailers are offering deals starting Thursday evening or even earlier online.
If you are looking for something to do with the kids, head north to Andersonville: “A quaint village in the heart of a world class city.” Andersonville was founded by Swedish immigrants and remains a thriving Swedish community with plenty to offer families that visit or choose to make it their home.
The head of a Far South Side church missed the deadline for Toys for Tots. But needy kids will get Christmas presents this afternoon.
A pastor in the West Pullman neighborhood who usually provides Christmas toys to hundreds of needy children says he missed a deadline this year – and because of that, he says the toy chest is bare.
Fisher-Price has announced the largest toy recall of the year, just in time for the holiday shopping season. A total of 46 different toys are on the list – about 10 million items in all.
For children in Chicago, there are more than a few toy stores in town that make a big impression.
CBS 2′s Mary Kay Kleist has a peek at the Toys R Us list of the hottest toys of 2010.
- Man Charged With Sex Trafficking For Second Time In Cook CountyA man previously convicted of sex trafficking in Cook County has been charged again, this time for allegedly kidnapping a Minnesota woman and bringing her to Chicago to work in the sex trade.201
- Body Found In Lake Is Missing U Of C StudentAuthorities have confirmed the body found in Lake Michigan early Wednesday belonged to a University of Chicago student who has been missing for a week.692
- Lewis Points Finger At ‘Rich White People’ For School ProblemsA day before the first set of school closings was set to begin, Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis had some harsh words about how the Chicago Public Schools are funded and managed, blaming much of the district’s problems on racism.5989
- Man Shot To Death In South Suburban HomewoodNineteen-year-old Homewood resident Henry Kormoi died from at least one gunshot wound he suffered near home in the 1100 block of 187th Street.112
- State Discontinues Healthcare Funding For Disabled Stroke VictimUnconscionable. That's what a doctor calls a state decision to cut care funding for a patient.311
- Teen Says He Got E. Coli From Burrito At Lombard RestaurantA local teen says he got sick because of a burrito he ate from a local restaurant that's now the focus of an e coli outbreak.158
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!