University of Illinois Fighting Illini
University of Illinois Director of Athletics Mike Thomas announced today that Learfield Sports’ Fighting Illini Sports Properties has secured WSCR 670 The Score as the newest radio affiliate on the statewide Illini Sports Network.
From 1994-98, I was a student at the University of Illinois, and during those four years I saw a grand total of 14 football victories.
By the end of that ugly Big Ten basketball tilt in Iowa City on Tuesday night, the only thing more plentiful among the Illini than missed shots was their disappointment.
It was a win that only the heaviest orange Kool-Aid drinker could have possibly seen coming, but it’s a victory that will forever be viewed by every Illini fan as among the greatest in school history.
Despite a win against top-ranked Ohio State, the Illini dropped to No. 12 in the AP poll.
There are more than 20,000 seats inside the United Center.
Come this evening in front of a rabid crowd in St. Louis, Illinois will defend its border against Missouri during the two schools’ annual Braggin’ Rights game.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association named Brandon Paul the Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week for games of the seven-day period ending Sunday, Dec. 9.
Fortunately for Illini fans, football season is over and their focus can now switch to basketball
I’ve always found it odd that here in Illinois, despite being the fifth most populous state in the country, we have only three major college football programs.
We don’t really know what Ron Zook is up to these days.
It’s safe to say it’s been a nice ride for new Illinois basketball coach John Groce.
So, is it really possible that Northwestern posts not only its best win total since 1995 this year, but even its better by one or two victories?
Jereme Richmond could have been spending this weekend preparing to start his junior season at the University of Illinois.
And this deeper dilemma affecting U. of I. athletics is so discouraging that after reading this column, you very well may be driven to drink yourself.
From Kansas’ Naismith tradition to North Carolina’s Jordanesque pedigree to Duke’s Coach K-fueled dominance, every “basketball” school in the country has something special to sell.
At Big Ten Media Days this week, much discussion swirled around the controversial topic of recruiting current Penn State players, who were who were essentially declared “free agents” by NCAA president Mark Emmert as part of PSU’s sweeping sanctions.
Deron Williams is moving to Brooklyn with the Nets, instead of back home to Dallas.
Illinois still needs a nonconference basketball opponent for its annual game at the United Center this December. Meanwhile, down at Kentucky, John Calipari’s national championship Wildcats just broke up with Indiana, their longtime nonconference foe from the Big Ten.
As new Illinois coach John Groce prepares for his first season with the Illini, he’ll do so without assistant coach Jerrance Howard.
- Two Charged With River North BurglariesTwo people have been charged with burglary in connection with a spate of robberies this month in the River North neighborhood.98
- Portage Theater Closed For NowThe 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza’s application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.90
- Man Shot And Killed Inside Hyde Park HomeA murder in Hyde Park, just blocks away from President Barack Obama's home.213
- Noise From Music Fest At Chicagoland Speedway Has Neighbors Up In ArmsMost of the complaints seem to be coming from the east of the Chicagoland Speedway in new Lenox, Frankfort and Mokena as grandstands protect the other three sides.127
- Roseland Hospital Cuts Staff, Salaries To Keep Doors OpenAs it waits to hear if it’ll receive a $7 million bailout to stay open, Roseland Community Hospital laid off almost 70 employees, and other hospital employees will take a pay cut.89
- Rev. Jackson: School Closings UndemocraticOpponents of Chicago school closures are vowing to fight on, but they appear to have little chance of reversing the mayor's agenda... unless a federal judge steps in, reports WBBM's Mike Krauser.90
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!