Whether your garden is exploding with the ripe fruits of your labor or you couldn’t resist saving quite a bit of cash at the local farmer’s market by buying a bushel of apples instead of a peck, it’s time to preserve the harvest so it can be enjoyed all winter long. Because, honestly, you know you cannot possibly eat all of those apples during the next few weeks; plus you’re going to want some for that Thanksgiving Day pie.
We walk a thin line with vegetables in our house; so much so that I’ve submerged myself in vegetable experimentation to help our young boys reside more on the love side of that line and tread less into deep waters of disgust on the other (nobody hates veggies more than I do when they become part of the wallpaper!). Picky eaters may still have a hard time with these recipes, but we’ve found them to be successful more times than not. And with all of these vegetables making a massive resurgence now that summertime is descending upon Chicagoland, they are easy to find, easy on the wallet and easy on the pallet.
With spring just around the corner, I start trading in my stews and pasta bakes for lighter, fresher options. I don’t know if it’s something in the air or my subconscious realization that shorts and swimsuits are on the horizon, but as soon as the sun starts warming up the frozen ground, I start turning toward greener, leafier foods. If you’re like me and looking for a tasty road to springtime, try these two flavorful salad recipes.
When we want to avoid dinnertime battles with the kids and still serve up the most nutritious vegetables readily and affordably available during these winter months in Chicago, we turn to the following tried and true recipes. Read on with an open mind and you might be surprised by what the little ones (and you!) will love!
- Three Teens Arrested After Large Fight On Lakefront On South SideThree teens were arrested on Sunday, after police broke up a large fight along the lakefront in the Jackson Park neighborhood.337
- Charred Body Found In Dumpster After Fire ExtinguishedAbout 11:05 p.m. firefighters were called to the 3100 block of North Kimball Avenue in the Avondale neighborhood after receiving a report of a dumpster blaze in a nearby alley.156
- 5 Dead, 18 Wounded In Weekend ViolenceFive people have been killed and at least 18 others wounded — including a 12-year-old boy left in critical condition — in shootings across the city since Friday night.7419
- Woman Disputes Story Of Chicago Cop Who Shot Her DogTensions are boiling over in the Norwood Park neighborhood on Chicago's Northwest Side where an off-duty Chicago police officer shot and killed a dog, reports WBBM's Nancy Harty.189
- 3 Critically Hurt In Kennedy CrashThree people were critically injured in a crash on the Kennedy Expressway on the Northwest Side Sunday morning.271
- Woman Found Dead At O’HareA woman was found dead near a bus stop at O’Hare International Airport Saturday, authorities said.308
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!
- Miller Lite ‘Take Me Out To The Ballpark’ Ticket Giveaway April 26, 2013Join The Score this summer at various locations throughout the Chicagoland area for your chance to win one of twenty pairs of tickets to a future White Sox game!