The bizarrely warm temperatures this week worry one climate expert.
Water temperatures in the southern part of Lake Michigan reached a “remarkable” 80 degrees Friday — sooner than any other year thanks to a warm winter combined with July’s searing heat wave.
Chicago did not, it turns out, break the record for the warmest day ever in March: 88 degrees, set in 1986.
While the return of the sun and gradually warming temperatures mean that spring really is on its way to the Chicago area, it also means ice skating enthusiasts will have to wait until the onset of next winter to take part in this activity outdoors.
The temperature Wednesday will climb to surpass the balmy conditions seen across the area a day earlier.
Cloud cover has replaced the intense sunshine of the morning hours, but temperatures will still be above average for the rest of the day Friday.
Temperatures will remain above average Thursday, and unlike this time last year, there won’t be a flake of snow in sight.
Unseasonably warm weather is expected to move into the Chicago area next week — but not before a cold and snowy weekend.
The calendar says Jan. 10, but it certainly doesn’t feel like it. But that will be changing soon enough.
Rain will continue off and on through the afternoon as a stubborn system circulates around a low-pressure area.
We could have had a lot of snow Wednesday, but we had all-day rain showers instead, making what is already the third wettest year in Chicago on record a little wetter still.
- Orange Line Service Resumes After Train-Pedestrian IncidentCTA commuters were temporarily stymied on the Orange Line during the Friday rush hour after a train fatally struck a man on the tracks.401
- Illinois Senate Passes Medical Marijuana LegislationIllinois Gov. Pat Quinn must decide if he will sign a measure allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes after the state Senate approved legislation on Friday.1238
- Teen Fatally Stabbed In Fight Outside Suburban Grocery StoreRomeoville police say a 17-year-old boy and a 22-year-old man got into a fight in the parking lot outside the Jewel-Osco on Weber Road.432
- Powerball Jackpot At $600 Million: Most Common NumbersThe Powerball jackpot was increased Friday to $600 million, making it the largest Powerball jackpot ever.781
- Police Believe Alleged Con Man Had Scores Of Victims In 4 StatesPark Ridge police were asking for the public’s health in a fraud investigation against a man they said has been using a fake identity to fleece people in at least four states.148
- Family Helping Fund Research For Rare Disease That Struck Son, DaughterThey start out growing up like any other child, until a seizure strikes. It's the first sign of a deadly, rare brain disease that robs children of their abilities before taking their lives. This weekend, you can help a Downers Grove family try to find a cure for Batten Disease.226
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- OREO Text-In Giveaway May 6, 2013The OREO King Size single serve packs are ideal for on the go snacking and sharing. To celebrate OREO King Size packs, text the keyword “OREO” to 67011 to enter for your chance to win a $250 Visa gift card!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!
- Rivers Casino’s Baseball Fever Giveaway May 1, 2013Get Baseball Fever at Rivers Casino Sundays & Tuesdays in May! You could win great prizes and up to $25,000. Plus print out the WILD CARD that can help you win even more!