Democratic bosses in Cook County have chosen Stanley Moore, a former state transportation official, to replace convicted County Commissioner William Beavers, even though Moore had recent ethics issues of his own.
Former Cook County Board President Todd Stroger tells the Chicago Sun-Times he will reach out to Democratic Party committeemen over the weekend to determine how much support he may have.
A jury has found William Beavers guilty in his tax corruption trial.
Federal prosecutors told a jury Thursday there’s no evidence Cook County Commissioner William Beavers was taking out a loan from his campaign fund for personal expenses, but the defense argued the prosecution was trying to “bamboozle” jurors.
Defense attorneys for Cook County Commissioner William Beavers rested their case at his tax trial on Wednesday, and the commissioner himself did not follow through on his promise to take the stand.
An IRS agent indicates he gave Commissioner Bill Beavers every possible break in figuring his tax liabilities, reports WBBM’s John Cody.
During a losing streak at Hammond’s Horseshoe Casino in April 2007, William Beavers went back to the bank three times in less than five hours to cash a total of $6,000 in checks from his political campaign fund, prosecutors alleged as the Cook County commissioner’s trial began Thursday.
Sam Adam Jr., an attorney for William Beavers, angrily told reporters Tuesday that he was “outraged” there were no black men in the 50-person jury pool. He suggested its composition was somehow fixed in advance. Beavers is black.
At worse than 100 to 1, the odds of a randomly-selected jury pool in Chicago containing not a single black man might make even the most compulsive gambler cringe.
Judge James Zagel says prosecutors can broach a 2005 return that included a letter in which Beavers acknowledges $43,000 in campaign money as income. Zagel says it goes to prosecutors’ argument that Beavers understood the requirement to report such money.
After being delayed for more than three months, the start of Cook County Commissioner William Beavers’ tax trial was off to a slow start Monday, when jury selection was pushed back a day to iron out the questions jurors will be asked.
A federal judge has set another new date for a Chicago politician’s tax-evasion trial.
Jury selection at the trial of a Chicago politician accused of misusing campaign funds has been delayed until next year.
Cook County Commissioner William Beavers vowed to take the stand in his own defense Monday as the first stages of jury selection got underway for his upcoming tax evasion trial.
A federal judge has barred Cook County Commissioner William Beavers from telling jurors at his tax evasion trial that he repaid campaign funds he borrowed after he learned of a federal investigation, unless Beavers takes the stand.
A federal judge said Thursday that Cook County Commissioner William Beavers can’t tell the jury at his upcoming tax evasion trial that he shot down a request from federal prosecutors to wear a wire as part of an investigation of another prominent Chicago politician.
Facing income tax evasion charges, Cook County Commissioner William Beavers lambasted federal prosecutors on Thursday, claiming he has evidence the charges against him are trumped up.
Cook County Commissioner William Beavers will go on trial before the end of the year on federal tax invasion charges, alleging he failed to declare more than $200,000 in campaign funds as earnings.
One of the latest Chicago politicians in legal hot water hosted a fundraiser Monday night to raise money for his criminal defense. CBS 2′s Mike Parker reports.
The failure Friday of New City Bank has left depositors in limbo, but it won’t last for long.
- Three Stabbed On Northwest SideThree teenagers were stabbed in the Belmont Cragin area Thursday night on the Northwest Side.142
- Students Disciplined For ‘Sexting’ Incident At Evanston Township HighIn a letter to parents dated Thursday, District 202 Supt. Eric Witherspoon wrote that girls sent inappropriate photos to members of the varsity baseball team.265
- Cops Crack Down On Retailers Who Sell Stolen GoodsA new law in Illinois is allowing police and retailers to work together to crack down on organized retail theft. CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports.117
- Jury Sides With Donald Trump In Condo Dispute With Woman, 87A federal jury has sided with developer Donald Trump -- not the 87-year-old woman who says she was cheated financially after buying two condominiums at his Trump Tower project.1056
- VIDEO: Guard Allegedly Pushes Dunbar Student Down StairsAn employee at a public high school in the Bronzeville neighborhood has been taken off the job after being recorded on cell phone video pushing a girl down a set of stairs.408
- Concealed Carry Bill Moves To House Floor, But Senate ObjectsA concealed-carry gun deal brokered by House Speaker Michael Madigan cleared a House committee Thursday, but its prospects were unclear across the Capitol in the Senate because of the way it would curb existing local gun laws.165
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- RT @Millennium_Park: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole … 11 hours ago
- RT @ChicagoDCASE: Tomorrow morning see a LIVE preview of Dinosaur Petting Zoo on CBS 2 from Millennium Park @CBS2Chicago @VinceGerasole htt… 11 hours ago