A winter storm that buried much of central Illinois in heavy snow largely missed the Chicago area Sunday and early Monday. The storm prompted many schools and universities downstate to cancel classes, and police advised people not to drive in that part of the state unless it’s an emergency.
Part of the roof of a popular suburban banquet hall collapsed overnight, apparently due to the weight of the heavy snow that fell during Tuesday’s snowstorm.
Chicago area residents were shoveling out from heavy snow Wednesday morning, following the biggest winter storm in two years.
It might be tough to drive in, but Tuesday’s snowstorm should bring some benefits to the Chicago area.
A west suburban Aurora woman’s car left the roadway and landed in a lake at the start of Tuesday’s winter storm.
Here are snowfall totals, reported to the National Weather Service, from Tuesday’s winter storm.
Residents in the far northern suburbs were digging out from heavy snow early Wednesday, after they were hit hardest by the winter storm that blew through the Chicago area on Tuesday. A couple more inches could fall on Wednesday.
Here are snowfall totals, reported to the National Weather Service, as of 7 a.m. on February 22, 2012.
Snow continued to blanket the Chicago region Friday morning, making driving conditions more hazardous for commuters, officials said.
Chicagoans could wake up Friday morning to the largest snow accumulation of the winter — a paltry three inches.
A “significant winter storm” could bring as much as four or five inches of snow to parts of the Chicago area late Thursday and early Friday, according to the National Weather Service.
O’Hare flight boards were showing delays on flights from New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Ohio – all areas hit by the winter storm.
“We expect to have most customers restored by Friday night,” a ComEd spokeswoman said, adding that a few pockets will be restored Saturday.
A strong storm with rain, snow and high winds hit Chicagoland on Thursday and caused thousands of power outages and flight cancellations at the city’s two major airports.
A Winter Storm Watch has been issued for Thursday for the far western portions of Chicagoland, including DeKalb and McHenry counties.
The winter storm turned deadly overnight, as a six-vehicle accident killed two people on the Dan Ryan Expressway.
The winter storm Friday that dropped up to 10 inches of snow on the Chicago area is over — but sloppy conditions could continue with rain and warmer temperatures expected this week.
More than 220 flights have been canceled at Chicago’s airports Sunday due to rain conditions in the Chicago area that have triggered a flood advisory.
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.247
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotPolice responded to calls of shots fired about 4:34 p.m. and found the man, whose age and identity were not immediately released, shot in the front seat of a vehicle in the 2800 block of Sheridan Road.152
- School Warns Parents Of Kidnapping Attempt On PlaygroundA man tried to abduct a 4th grader from the playground at Alexander Graham Bell Elementary School at 3730 N Oakley Ave on Wednesday.150
- Senate Passes Ban On Handheld Cell Phones While DrivingThe proposal says drivers must use hands-free devices or speakerphone features.127
- Three Stabbed On Northwest SideThree teenagers were stabbed in the Belmont Cragin area Thursday night on the Northwest Side.142
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!