Should U.S. Play For Win Or Tie Against Germany?
- DignityIf you're a true competitor, you take pride in winning every time out. There's no other option.They say ties are like kissing your sister -- why would you ever purposely try to do that?
- AestheticsThe U.S. and Germany have the talent to play quality, entertaining soccer if they stick to their identity.No one wants to watch two sides kick the ball around for 90 minutes in the middle-third of the field.
- Short-term rewardThe U.S. would win Group G and play either Algeria, Russia or Korea in a round of 16 matchup.The U.S. would take second in Group G and almost assuredly play Belgium, an outside title contender, in a round of 16 matchup.
- Long-term rewardThe U.S. would be in the same quadrant as Argentina, making for a really tough potential quarterfinals.If the U.S. got through the round of 16, a favorable quarterfinal matchup against the likes of Nigeria or France awaits.
- AttitudeTo be the best, you have to compete -- and beat -- the best. Germany is among the elite, so this is the chance to prove yourself.How do you sell your team and nation on competing for World Cup titles in the future if you take the easy way out in this situation?
You play to win the game!