Tale of the tape
Week 11: Chicago Bears At San Francisco 49ers
|Jay Cutler took a shot to the head against the Houston Texans in Week 10 and was forced out of the game with a concussion. It seems likely that Jason Campbell will get the start for him. Campbell did not look comfortable against the Texans, but with a week of practice he should be able to throw accurate short- and medium-range passes.||Quarterback||Alex Smith also took a head shot and was forced out of the Rams game with a concussion. He may be able to start against the Bears, but if he can’t go athletic Colin Kaepernick will get the start. While Kaepernick can run and has been effective in the Wildcat role, he looked somewhat shaky when he had to take over for the accurate Smith.|
|Matt Forte is the Bears’ best all-around offensive player, but he has not been getting the ball enough this year. Forte is an effective runner and receiver and he needs to be featured more by Chicago if the Bears are going to improve their overall offensive play. Wide receiver Brandon Marshall has been a very effective go-to receiver, but the Bears miss rookie wideout Alshon Jeffery (hand) who has missed four games.||Offense||Frank Gore is a difference-making running back. Like the Minnesota Vikings with Adrian Peterson, the Niners want to feature their running attack and use the passing game to relieve some of Gore’s burden. Wide receivers Michael Crabtree and Marion Manningham along with tight end Vernon Davis are solid targets for the Niners quarterbacks.|
|The Bears’ defense has been superb this season. They rank fifth overall in yards allowed, but the Bears have scored seven defensive touchdowns and they are a threat to break any game open with their ability to return interceptions. Cornerback Charles Tillman and outside linebacker Lance Briggs have both scored two touchdowns. Defensive end Julius Peppers is double-teamed on every play.||Defense||The Niners are also a sensational defensive team. Patrick Willis is a brutal hitter from the middle linebacker spot while outside linebacker NaVorro Bowman has a team-high 81 tackles. Speedy outside linebacker Aldon Smith is one of the best pass rushers in the league. He has 9.5 sacks heading into Week 11.|
|Robbie Gould is one of the best field goal kickers in the league. He has made 18-of-21 field goal attempts this season, including 2-of-2 from 50 yards and beyond. The Bears are waiting for Devin Hester to break free and give them a touchdown return or two.||Special Teams||The Niners are ordinary on special teams. David Akers may have one of the strongest legs in the league, but he has been erratic this season. He has made just 15-of-21 FG attempts. Andy Lee is a good directional punter who has dropped 20 of 37 punts inside the 20.|
We'll just call it a tie
More Tales of the tape
NCAA Championship Game: #1 Louisville Vs. #4 Michigan
Rick Pitino has been here before, after making his 7th Final Four appearance, he’s now in his third go-round in the title game. He’s got plenty of experience on the big stage and he has the Cardinals playing high level basketball at the right time.
Super Bowl Halftime Show Vs. Neil Diamond: Who Takes The Trophy For Better Entertainment?
For years, both Neil Diamond and the Super Bowl Halftime show have been giving us, let’s say, mild overproduction (read: glitzy, flashy, and potentially unnecessary). So who’s got the edge between these two cheesy industry mainstays?
Harbaughs Vs. Baldwins: Which Pair Of Siblings Stand Out?
Harbaughs vs. Baldwins? Wow. What a battle! Let’s dig deep to see which pair of brothers has the upper hand.
- Some People You Should Know: The MelodeersIt all began when barbershop patrons started singing while waiting to get their hair cut. A century or so later, the Melodeers chorus is taking the music to a dazzling new height with 140 ladies singing in unaccompanied four-part harmony. CBS 2's Harry Porterfield reports.155
- Mother Of Student Pushed Down School Stairs ‘Enraged’ At Security GuardNew video surfaced Friday that appears to show sophomore Lauren Goodlow being pushed by a male security guard. CBS 2's Dorothy Tucker reports.329
- House Passes Concealed Carry Plan Opposed By Senate LeaderGun owners in the only state still banning concealed weapons would win that right under a plan approved by the Illinois House on Friday, but the governor and other powerful Democrats oppose the plan because it would wipe out local gun ordinances -- including Chicago's ban on assault weapons.220
- Two Shot Near Roosevelt CTA StationAround 11:10 a.m., a 57-year-old man and a 30-year-old man were shot in the 1100 block of South State Street.256
- Store Owner Kidnapped In Pilsen, SUV StolenPolice said the 78-year-old man was closing the store in the 1100 block of West 18th Street when a group of men threw a pillowcase over his head, hit him in the face, and forced him into his own SUV.248
- Man Found Shot To Death In Zion Supermarket Parking LotThe man found shot to death in a parking in north suburban Zion on Thursday afternoon has been identified as a Waukegan resident.152
- Benjamin Moore Which Team Colors Matter Most? May 24, 2013Which Team Colors matter most to you? Either way, you could be a winner! Just sign up now for a chance to win $500 Depot Dollars to the Chicago Sports Depot to pick up some gear with your favorite team colors as they battle it out this week!
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!