Tale of the tape
Week 8: Chicago Bears Vs. Carolina Panthers
|Jay Cutler takes a beating for his “attitude,” but he is a strong-armed quarterback who is capable of ripping apart any defense with his arm strength and accuracy. While Cutler has been criticized by outsiders for several seasons, he has the full support of head coach Lovie Smith and his teammates. Cutler took a vicious hit from Detroit’s Ndamukong Suh and landed on his shoulder in the Week Seven Monday night game and that could limit him in this game.||Quarterback||Cam Newton is having a lot of problems finding the right formula in his second year and the pressure is increasing dramatically in Carolina. The Panthers fired general manager Marty Hurney after their Week Seven loss to the Cowboys. Newton’s lack of progress is indicated by his poor 5-to-6 touchdown-to-interception ratio. If that figure doesn’t improve, the Panthers are not going to win a lot of games the rest of the way.|
|Brandon Marshall gives the Bears a receiving deep threat and a player who can seize control of the game and dominate. Look for Cutler to set the tone by getting the ball to him early in the game. Matt Forte is both a running and a receiving threat out of the backfield. Look for Earl Bennett to have a big impact as the possession receiver.||Offense||The Panthers should always present one of the best running attacks in the NFL thanks to Newton’s quick feet. They also get production from James Stewart. Veteran receiver Steve Smith has done well against the Bears in the past and fights for yardage with each reception. Brandon LaFell has plenty of speed but he is erratic.|
|The Bears are perhaps the most aggressive defense in the league. They specialize in taking the ball away and turning those plays into touchdowns. Outside linebacker Lance Briggs is a tackling machine who can also make plays on the ball. Cornerback Charles Tillman is an expert at forcing fumbles. Defensive end Julius Peppers is still a game-changing player.||Defense||The Panthers are playing hard on defense, but they are finding it difficult to overcome the team’s offensive errors. Rookie linebacker Luke Kuechly is making a run at defensive rookie of the year. He had 15 tackles in Week Seven against the Cowboys. Fellow linebacker James Anderson added 12 tackles.|
|The Panthers are not getting a lot of big plays from their special teams. Justin Medlock is just an ordinary placekicker while Brad Nortmann is averaging 43.4 yards per punt.||Special Teams||Robbie Gould specializes in hitting field goals at Soldier Field, despite the high winds that whip in off of Lake Michigan. The Bears are still capable of getting excellent returns from Devin Hester. The Bears have solid coverage teams.|
The winner is
More Tales of the tape
NCAA Championship Game: #1 Louisville Vs. #4 Michigan
Rick Pitino has been here before, after making his 7th Final Four appearance, he’s now in his third go-round in the title game. He’s got plenty of experience on the big stage and he has the Cardinals playing high level basketball at the right time.
Super Bowl Halftime Show Vs. Neil Diamond: Who Takes The Trophy For Better Entertainment?
For years, both Neil Diamond and the Super Bowl Halftime show have been giving us, let’s say, mild overproduction (read: glitzy, flashy, and potentially unnecessary). So who’s got the edge between these two cheesy industry mainstays?
Harbaughs Vs. Baldwins: Which Pair Of Siblings Stand Out?
Harbaughs vs. Baldwins? Wow. What a battle! Let’s dig deep to see which pair of brothers has the upper hand.
- Woman Robs North Side BankA woman robbed a Lakeview bank Tuesday afternoon on the city’s North Side.262
- Four Schools To Be Spared From Closing; Another To Be DelayedHours before a final vote by the Chicago Board of Education, Chicago Public Schools officials have agreed to back off of plans to close four of the 53 elementary schools targeted for closing at the end of the school year, Board Vice President Jesse Ruiz confirmed Wednesday morning.415
- Boy, 17, Fatally Shot In Back Of The YardsA teenage boy was fatally shot in the South Side Back of the Yards neighborhood Tuesday evening, police said.147
- Police: Man Killed In Jump From Gold Coast BuildingA man jumped to his death early Tuesday from the Gold Coast high-rise building where he lived, authorities said.303
- Police: Man Touches Woman’s Leg At South Loop CTA StationPolice are looking for man who inappropriately touched a woman at a South Loop CTA station Tuesday morning.147
- Rapper Chief Keef Arrested In Georgia Hotel After Staff Smells MarijuanaChicago rapper Chief Keef makes no secret of his fondness for marijuana. The staff at the swanky LeMeridien Atlanta Perimeter hotel doesn’t share that fondness.144
- AVEENO® MEN’S “Building a Healthier Foundation” Sweepstakes May 21, 2013AVEENO® Men’s™ knows your family is your foundation. And to take good care of them, you need to take good care of yourself. Win a family day at the ballpark from AVEENO® Men’s™.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Meet Jim Rome On Set In Los Angeles May 20, 2013AutoZone and the Jim Rome Show are giving one winner and a guest a trip to meet Jim Rome in Los Angeles on the set of his Showtime television show! Enter for your chance to win!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!