Tale of the tape
Week 9: Chicago Bears At Tennessee Titans
|Jay Cutler was not at his best in the Bears’ 23-22 Week Eight, come-from-behind victory over the Carolina Panthers. Cutler completed 19-of-28 passes for 186 yards with one TD pass and an interception. He rarely went downfield with any authority, and he may be having problems with his ribs after taking a brutal shot from Detroit’s Ndamukong Suh in the Bears’ Week Seven Monday night game.||Quarterbacks||Matt Hasselbeck has done a reasonable job in filling at the No. 1 quarterback position, but he is not a game-changing athlete at this point in his career. He can take what the defense will give him, but he is not going to be able to throw over the top of the defense and make big plays. This is particularly true of Chicago defense that makes a lot more big plays than they give up.|
|Matt Forte is one of the most overlooked players in the NFL. He is the glue to the Bears’ gameplan. He gets the job done running the ball and he is also a superior receiver who shows the willingness to block on an every-game basis. Brandon Marshall is the Bears’ big-play weapon and he has a great rapport with Cutler and superb athletic ability. The offensive line struggles to protect Cutler and that is the Bears’ biggest issue.||Offense||Chris Johnson is one of the most erratic players in the league. While he has breakaway speed, he does not run with abandon often enough and regularly seems like he is trying to protect himself. Nate Washington and Kendall Wright are solid receivers who will get open regularly and catch the ball when Hasselbeck gets the ball to them accurately.|
|The Bears are the best scoring defense in the league. They specialize in taking the ball away and turning those plays into touchdowns. Outside linebacker Lance Briggs already has two interceptions that he has returned for touchdowns and is a tackling machine. Cornerback Charles Tillman has benefited from covering Marshall in practice and that gives him an edge on facing smaller receivers in games.||Defense||If the Bears are having some difficulty with their offense, they may be lining up against the right opponent to get well. The Titans rank 30th overall in total defense and they are poor against the run (28th in the NFL) and even worse against the pass (29th). The Titans need more production from middle linebacker Will Weatherspoon, who has 30 tackles and 1.0 sack this season|
|Robbie Gould hit another clutch field goal when he kicked the game-winning 41-yarder at the gun in the win over the Panthers. Adam Podlesh is a decent but not great punter who averaged 44.8 yards on four punts against Carolina. The Bears are waiting for return specialist Devin Hester to unleash one of his patented returns this season.||Special Teams||Rob Bironas is one of the most dependable kickers in the NFL, but he missed a field goal against the Colts that would have given the Titans a much better chance to win the game. Brett Kern is averaging 47.4 yards per punt and has dropped 15 inside the opponents’ 20 yard line.|
The winner is
More Tales of the tape
NCAA Championship Game: #1 Louisville Vs. #4 Michigan
Rick Pitino has been here before, after making his 7th Final Four appearance, he’s now in his third go-round in the title game. He’s got plenty of experience on the big stage and he has the Cardinals playing high level basketball at the right time.
Super Bowl Halftime Show Vs. Neil Diamond: Who Takes The Trophy For Better Entertainment?
For years, both Neil Diamond and the Super Bowl Halftime show have been giving us, let’s say, mild overproduction (read: glitzy, flashy, and potentially unnecessary). So who’s got the edge between these two cheesy industry mainstays?
Harbaughs Vs. Baldwins: Which Pair Of Siblings Stand Out?
Harbaughs vs. Baldwins? Wow. What a battle! Let’s dig deep to see which pair of brothers has the upper hand.
- Natura Pet Issues New Dog And Cat Food RecallNebraska-based Natura Pet Products has announced a new voluntary recall of multiple brands of dry pet food and treats. The decision comes after a positive test for Salmonella on April 3.7491
- Bakery Blunder Makes ‘Cat Cake’ A Viral SensationOf all the cat memes on the Internet, this one takes the cake.900
- Search Dog Tracks Missing Student To LakefrontVolunteers, friends and family were out in force Tuesday morning, resuming the search for a missing University of Chicago student.586
- Initial Tests ID Glittery Substance Along BeachIndiana environmental officials were investigating whether a Porter County manufacturer was responsible for a slick of glittery material that kept many swimmers out of Porter Beach on Monday.1095
- Weekend Death Toll Rises To 8 After Two Men Die Of Gunshot InjuriesTwo men critically wounded in weekend shootings died Monday, raising the death toll for 2013’s most violent weekend to eight. At least 39 other people were wounded in shootings across the city, authorities said.163
- Mystery Substance Prompts Closure Of Indiana BeachSwimmers have been ordered out of Lake Michigan at Porter Beach because of a substance in the water. WBBM's Nancy Harty has more.6566
- Win $1,000 In Gas From Hyundai! June 17, 2013Enter to win $1,000 in free gas from Hyundai! What’s better than free gas? How about the 2013 Elantra Limited with an EPA-Estimated 38 MPG Highway! 28 City/38 Hwy. EPA Estimates. For comparison only. Actual mileage may vary.
- Join Hankook Tire To Reel In The Next Big Catch May 20, 2013Join Hankook tire to reel in the next great catch! Click here to go to www.TirePrize.com and enter for your chance to win the ultimate fishing excursion in Puerto Rico!
- Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau Post Game Show Giveaway May 10, 2013Listen to The Score’s Baseball Post Game Show for your chance to win a $100 lodging gift certificate from the Marquette County Convention & Visitors Bureau!
- Enjoy Golf’s Best Round With GREY GOOSE Vodka May 1, 2013Enjoy Golf’s Best Round this season with GREY GOOSE Vodka! Visit your participating retailer today and purchase one 750 mL or larger bottle of GREY GOOSE Vodka to receive one free round of golf!