CHICAGO (STMW) – A trial date has been set for early next year for one of four defendants charged in the fatal beating of 16-year-old Fenger High School honors student Derrion Albert last year.

A jury trial for Silvonus Shannon, 20, will begin Jan 7, 2011, Cook County State’s Attorney’s office spokeswoman Tandra Simonton said.

Three others charged in the murder — Carson Riley, Eugene Riley and Lapoleon Colbert — are scheduled for a status hearing Nov. 1, she said.

Murder charges were dropped against another defendant, Eugene Bailey, in October 2009.

Albert was an “innocent” bystander during a fight between two groups of students outside Fenger, prosecutors said. A cell phone video showed Albert being punched to the ground at the after-school melee Sept. 24, 2009.

© Sun-Times Media Wire Chicago Sun-Times 2010. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.