INDIANAPOLIS (CBS) — A radio station in Indianapolis is reporting a rumor that Colts’ quarterback Peyton Manning had a third surgery this week and is out for the season.

WNDE radio host Jake Query reported that a source told him that Manning had a third surgery either Sunday or Monday and is done for the season. A second source told Query that the surgery was on Manning’s lower back, not his neck, as was the case with two previous surgeries.

READ MORE: Brian Hall, 25, Charged After Shots Fired At Chicago Police Officer In West Garfield Park

The third surgery has not been confirmed and the Colts have not commented on the rumor.

Peyton Manning Photo Gallery: 13 Straight Seasons Of Great Football

Earlier Wednesday, the Colts announced that Manning would not play in the season opener at Houston on Sunday, ending his streak of 227 consecutive starts.

READ MORE: 3 Dead, 2 In Critical Condition After Shooting In Kenosha, Wisconsin

Kerry Collins, signed by the Colts late last month, will start in Manning’s place on Sunday.

“To say I am disappointed in not being able to play is an understatement,” Manning said in a statement released by the team. “The best part about football is being out there on the field playing with my teammates. It will be tough not to be out there playing for the organization and our fans. I simply am not healthy enough to play, and I am doing everything I can to get my health back. The team will do fine without me, and I know for sure that I will miss them much more than they miss me.”

The news that Manning would miss the season opener came about a month after he signed a 5-year, $90 million contract extension.

MORE NEWS: 5-Year-Old Boy Found Walking Around Belmont CTA Station

Manning is still recovering from neck surgery on May 23 to repair a nerve. The team has said that team doctors have re-evaluated Manning and told him to stop practicing while he undergoes more tests. The Colts have said no additional neck surgery has been scheduled.