CHICAGO (CBS) — Mayor Rahm Emanuel says he is concerned about how long it can take for the police review board to investigate when officers are accused of misconduct.

As WBBM Newsradio Political Editor Craig Dellimore reports, Mayor Emanuel will not address the specifics of the case of Officer Hester Scott, who was shot and killed over the weekend – allegedly by her own grandson.

LISTEN: WBBM Newsradio Political Editor Craig Dellimore reports

At the time, Scott was waiting for the results of the Independent Police Review Authority’s review of abuse allegations filed against her by the Keshawn Perkins, the grandson charged with her murder.

But Emanuel did address the main point.

“It’s a discussion I’ve had with leaders of the City Council, whom I meet with prior to City Council meetings, so we will have a more regular report on where cases are, and the frequency in which they get heard, so people can get clarity and certainty around their individual cases,” Emanuel said.

He says better controls are being put into place.

On Tuesday, police Supt. Garry McCarthy ordered Scott’s badge posthumously restored. Her star had been taken away after the abuse allegation, which dated back to 2007.

“Officer Scott was a 25-year veteran of this department and a murder victim, and the superintendent felt this was the right thing to do for her and her family,” police spokeswoman Sarah Hamilton said.

Before McCarthy stepped in, Chicago Fraternal Order of Police attorneys were prepared to argue that the star should be returned because, as Shields put it, “The person making these false allegations is the actual murderer.”

FOP President Mike Shields said it is inexcusable that the IPRA would take four years to lift a cloud over the officer’s head.

Scott remained in the callback section, even after the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services investigated, then dismissed her grandson’s abuse allegations.

Last Friday, Scott was stabbed to death after allegedly confronting her grandson about falling asleep watching TV and skipping classes at Gwendolyn Brooks College Prep.

Grandson Perkins has been charged with first-degree murder and armed robbery. Enraged by his grandmother’s demands, Perkins allegedly hit Scott in the head with a lamp “until she shut up,” then stabbed her repeatedly with a kitchen knife, prosecutors said.

Scott was a mother of two who had adopted Keshawn and his three siblings seven years ago after her drug-addicted daughter’s children were taken into foster care because she could no longer care for them. Keshawn lived with his grandmother in the 8800 block of South Wallace Street.

The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.

Watch & Listen LIVE